Upton Court Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mazy

Upton Court Grammar

Post by mazy »

Hello everyone,

Just looking for some advice about Upton Court Grammar school. My dilemma is: should I send DS to Upton Court Grammar (he has passed the 11+) or to a very good local school? Is Upton Court Grammar a good grammar school? It seemed a bit chaotic on the open evening.

He may have a chance of getting into Langley (has passed 11+ for this school aswell) which I would prefer.

Would love to hear from parents whose children already attend Upton Court Grammar.

regards,

Mazy
ToadMum

Re: Upton Court Grammar

Post by ToadMum »

mazy wrote:Hello everyone,

Just looking for some advice about Upton Court Grammar school. My dilemma is: should I send DS to Upton Court Grammar (he has passed the 11+) or to a very good local school? Is Upton Court Grammar a good grammar school? It seemed a bit chaotic on the open evening.

He may have a chance of getting into Langley (has passed 11+ for this school aswell) which I would prefer.

Would love to hear from parents whose children already attend Upton Court Grammar.

regards,

Mazy
You write as if application to these schools is an individual process, but if your child has already taken the exams, you must have made a decision about what order to rank them on your CAF? You will only get one offer next Monday! Do you mean that you put Upton Court first, despite the impression the school made on you at the open day, but now think you will want to try to get a place at a school you ranked lower down if you are offered Upton Court?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
mazy

Post by mazy »

Hello Toadmum,

Yes, I think I made a mistake on the caf form. Just thought any grammar would be better than non. (just wanted to be reassured about Upton Court Grammar)

We will just have to see which school he is given - I'm sure he will do well whichever one he goes to - its just me having a panic attack!

Thanks for replying,
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

mazy wrote:Hello Toadmum,

Yes, I think I made a mistake on the caf form. Just thought any grammar would be better than non. (just wanted to be reassured about Upton Court Grammar)

We will just have to see which school he is given - I'm sure he will do well whichever one he goes to - its just me having a panic attack!

Thanks for replying,
You're welcome - I wouldn't worry too much about an open evening being a bit chaotic; we went to one last summer which went like clockwork (or rather, like the old film, "If it's Tuesday, it Must Be Belgium" :shock: ), but most I've been to over the years have had a certain element of chaos. Better than giving the impression that they just don't care...
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

If it helps, the Open Days in the GSs here are always chaotic. Literally hundreds of children and their parents (and sometimes grandparents) all charging round, desperately trying to talk to anyone and everyone to get any sort of inkling as to how to get a jump start on the 11+ exam, as well as trying to see why they are outstanding and, therefore, hugely competitive schools! They hold very few Open Days (in part due to the time it takes to set them up, which they want to use more usefully, teaching the children already there) and because they know that, as a super selective, they will always have far more applicants than places (without being complacent). Try and take it as a positive that the Open Day was chaotic as maybe it implies the school is popular/sought after.
mazy

Post by mazy »

Thanks for that kenyancowgirl,

Yes I'm sure you are right - just wondering if its better to go to a very good non grammar that's closer to home, rather than an 'average' grammar miles away?

I am assuming UC isn't considered as good as some of the other grammars in the slough consortium as it has a lower pass mark for the 11+

Just waiting for someone to tell me I'm wrong and its a brilliant school!!
vnhbmum

Post by vnhbmum »

Hi mazy,
I would prefer grammar my dd last year
Got first round offer from upton court I did lot of research it is a good
School don't listen to gossips I did quite a research I know
One of my friend he is in A levels doing brilliant and remember
Grammar schools have standards in teaching though I rejected offer as in second round
My dd got Herschel which she is going trust me there is not
Much difference
Hpatel

Post by Hpatel »

Hi vnhbmum,

My son has been offered the place in upton court Grammar & got offer from Reading Blue Court.

I want to know more about upton court like how many student score A* in Maths, English & Sciences?

Any more information is welcome, which will help me to make discussion?

I know Reading blue court has got very good sport facility & got better GCSE & A level results. But none of the student got 11 A* in GCSE.

Kind Regards,
Hemant.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Look on the school website or google league tables? I have just realised that this school is actually Slough Grammar School as was.
scary mum
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

Reading Blue Coat will be a very different school to Upton Court as it is fee paying and so is aiming for a wider school experience rather than focussing on 11 A*s. I think you need to work out what you are really looking for is a school for your son.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now