Watford Grammar V/S St Helens

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Misty

Watford Grammar V/S St Helens

Post by Misty »

Hello

My DD has got a place in St helens and i am positive we will get a place in Watford Grammar too. I am swaying towards St helen's but i want to make sure i do it for the right reasons. Please can you share your knowledge and experience on which one you would choose and why.

Thank you
Misty
Daogroupie

Re: Watford Grammar V/S St Helens

Post by Daogroupie »

Hello. A great choice to have. Two wonderful schools. Can't really go wrong with either of them. Does St Helens offer you opportunities that are not available at Watford? DG
Misty

Post by Misty »

Hey Daogroupie,

Well, they both offer very similar opportunities. St Helens is 10 minutes walk from my house and Watford Grammar is 20 minutes drive from my house.

I am wondering if i can hear from St helens and Watford grammar mums about advantages and disadvantages which will help me make my decision.
Middlesexmum

Post by Middlesexmum »

I have a dd in Year 8 at St Helens. We were also considering Watford girls but she didn't get a place but I think even if she had, we still would have chosen St Helens.

It's a wonderful school, I honestly can't think of any faults in 18 months of dd being there.

-wonderful, inspiring teaching
-small classes of 20. Some of the Maths sets are even smaller than this
-girls have a form and separate teaching group so they instantly have 2 sets of friends
-very nurturing, girls are well supported by form tutors and all the teachers generally
-strong house system, there are house events thorough out the year, arts, sports etc
-long lunch period so girls can eat, go to a club, go to the library etc
-2 week timetable and 5 lessons a day of 1 hour each
-great for languages, girls choose 2 MFLs and all do Latin
-lots and lots of extra curricular clubs, everything from sport to music to drama to origami
-beautiful grounds, the school occupies an entire block!
-well situated in Northwood, all those cafés come in handy of the last day of term!
-focus on academic achievement without the intense pressure of other girls' schools

We didn't set out purely with an indie in mind but I can really see what we are paying for. Dd is really thriving and was delighted to win a progress prize in year 7.

Let me know if you want to know anything else.
Misty

Post by Misty »

Thank You Middlesex mum

You have made me feel at ease and i feel confident to go today and give the deposit for St Helens.

Thank you again

Misty
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now