Bancroft vs Woodford county grammer

Eleven Plus (11+) in Redbridge

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dizzy

Bancroft vs Woodford county grammer

Post by Dizzy »

My DD has received a scholarship from Bancroft and also has a place at WC (based on rankings). We are struggling to decide between the two. DD like both, isn't sporty but enjoys music and drama. We could probably stretch for the remaining fees at Bancroft, but was wondering what others thought.

We are considering the WC place as a 100% scholarship, so would be very hard to turn down. DD has worked very hard to prepare for 11+, so would seem a shame not to take it. On the other hand, appreciate that Bancroft has it's benefits, smaller classes, better pastoral care etc.

Not sure what to do. Appreciate your thoughts.
vanityfair

Re: Bancroft vs Woodford county grammer

Post by vanityfair »

My DD schools in Wanstead and going back today after half term Bancroft's is the school that is proving the most popular. Many parents seem not to have even bothered agpplying to Woodford County for various reasons. Bancroft's has a great reputation locally with pastoral care being rated very highly. If you can stretch to 7 years of fees without much difficulty then Bancroft seems a good bet; but Woodford County has the advantage of being free! Your call!!
Last edited by vanityfair on Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Both dd's spend a lot of time playing Bancrofts at sports and this does seem a major focus of the school. How do the two compare academically? DG
vanityfair

Post by vanityfair »

Daogroupie wrote:Both dd's spend a lot of time playing Bancrofts at sports and this does seem a major focus of the school. How do the two compare academically? DG
I'm not sure if there is much between Bancrofts and Woodford schools academically, parents around here tout Bancroft's as being the more academic out of the trinity of indies in the area. I do know that in the latter school they have had to bring in support for English language. Facilities in Bancroft's are of course better and Woodford buildings are a bit shabby. The feel of Woodford is also a bit more subdued whilst the pupils at Bancroft come across as more confident.
pof4

Post by pof4 »

I agree with vanityfair - so if you can manage the remaining fees, I would select Bancroft.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Please clarify support for English language? DG
vanityfair

Post by vanityfair »

Daogroupie wrote:Please clarify support for English language? DG
Just some pupils needing extra support with English with it not being their first language. Redbridge only test for VR and NVR unlike Bancroft's whom test English skills pretty thoroughly with their style of entrance exam.
Dizzy

Post by Dizzy »

I generally agree that between Bancroft and WCHS, we are leaning more towards Bancroft. We have heard a lot of negativity about WCHS, especially girls desperate to move out for sixth form. I think we could stretch the fees, so makes sense between the two.

Just to confuse matters, our first choice is actually Chelmsford county High School. I think DD is very keen on going there, but appreciate there are only 24 out of catchment places. Will have to wait till early next week.I think the level of English and Maths are generally better than WCHS, but the only real consideration is the distance. I'm sure she'll get used to it if thats were she ends up.
kelwaypops

Post by kelwaypops »

i posted you a response on the independant schools section if you want to take a peak (too tired to type it again). dd will be going to chigwell but went to see wch
kelwaypops

Post by kelwaypops »

the *support of english language* comment i think was referring to extra help being needed apparently for some students as apparently alot of the girls come from homes where english is not the first language spoken at home. i heard this myself a while ago actually from a friend who is friends with someone who is a teacher there. i don't see a problem with this myself, not if it helps someone.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now