Anyone else heard the rumour?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Trafford

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dougal

Anyone else heard the rumour?

Post by Dougal »

I heard from a friend of a friend of a friend that Sale were changing to the CEM format for their entrance exam. I know you shouldn'I listen to gossip but I thought if anyone knew if it was true it would be someone on this forum!
pen&paper

Re: Anyone else heard the rumour?

Post by pen&paper »

If you check the Sale Grammar website and the proposed Admission Policy for 2015, you will see that it only makes note of the fact that there will be a VR, NVR and maths examination (as in previous years):

"The Sale Grammar School Entrance Tests consist of Verbal Reasoning, Non Verbal Reasoning and Mathematics questions, set and standardised by our service provider."

http://www.salegrammar.co.uk/files/user ... Policy.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Usually, in areas where the new CEM assessment (Centre for Evaluation and Monitoring) is used for 11+ exams, you would spot a 'numerical reasoning' exam in place of just a 'maths' exam and most schools using CEM also suggest that you cannot prepare children for these exams (as they test core maths & English skills).

To date, GL Assessment has been the service provider for Sale Grammar and if this did change you would be informed about it at the parent information meetings. There is a big overlap of skills required for GL Assessment and CEM tests.
Dougal

Post by Dougal »

Thanks for your reply pen&paper.
I have been asking around and the heads of the local primarys have been informed that this change is going to take place. Not for this years exam, but in the future so it won't be up on the website yet. It is just that for those whose DC aren't taking it this year it may give them time to look at what any possible changes may mean.
rimi01

Post by rimi01 »

Dougal wrote:Thanks for your reply pen&paper.
I have been asking around and the heads of the local primarys have been informed that this change is going to take place. Not for this years exam, but in the future so it won't be up on the website yet. It is just that for those whose DC aren't taking it this year it may give them time to look at what any possible changes may mean.
Looks like its changing from this year!! Someone posted on the forum!!
pen&paper

Post by pen&paper »

It certainly is and now on Sale's website ... bit of a surprise for this year's students taking the exam.

Any more changes this year anybody knows of? So far we've had Alty's English/no NVR and now Sale moving to CEM tests.
Rainysunshine001

Post by Rainysunshine001 »

pen&paper wrote:It certainly is and now on Sale's website ... bit of a surprise for this year's students taking the exam.

Any more changes this year anybody knows of? So far we've had Alty's English/no NVR and now Sale moving to CEM tests.
Yes & I strongly 'feel' for the first timers this year with only a few months notice... by this time, shouldn't they be getting familiar to the exam format (GL as it was) , so I guess parents having to come up with a plan to help their DCs.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now