Bond Verbal/Non-verbal reasoning papers

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lh1

Bond Verbal/Non-verbal reasoning papers

Post by lh1 »

Does anyone have any idea how the Bond papers compare to the 11+ and what sort of scores on them would equate to a NFER score of 118? My son is in Year 5 so is currently working through the 9-10 papers.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear 1h1

Which school/area are yoou applying for?

With regard to VR if NFER are setting the exam, then Bond books is not relevant material.

If you can comeback with the answer to the above question we may be able to help you.

Patricia
lh1

11+ prep

Post by lh1 »

He's applying for Trafford next year. Thanks
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear 1h1

The following old thread in the Trafford section may be of some help. A tutor called Fairy has made some interesting points. Although Fairy does not seem to post any more, should you register and send her a PM, she may pick it up [ if she has email alerts]

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... .php?t=313

Reading her posts it would seem that the VR part of the tests are NFER Multiple Choice 15 types [ not the 21 that many publishers now use] The 6 types that are missing will be HIKNOS as idebtified by IPS or types 16 - 21 from The Tutors CD Demo.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/cd/the ... lume-1.php

Shop/website NFER VR M/C contain the 15 types.

Bond will not be applicable to VR, but maybe [according to Fairy] be relevant to NVR

Good Luck

Patricia

Ps. Registering is completely confidential.
geogwoman

Post by geogwoman »

Why are Bond VR papers no good if you are doing NFER papers. The questions look of a similar type and I was told by a tutor that they are good for practising with.
patricia

Post by patricia »

Dear Geogwoman

Nfer VR M/C comes in a set 15 or 21 types with no deviation.

Bond [and many other publishers] do not use these 15/21 types, some are similar, some are irrelevant, some are in a different format.

There are a number of publishers who keep to 21, it is therefore a waste of money and time to use non relevant material.

I would only use Bond [ for NFER areas] for YOUNGER age groups, being used for quizzy sessions at home with parents, certainly NOT for tutoring the 11 plus [again for NFER areas]

Patricia
geogwoman

Post by geogwoman »

Thanks Patricia - I was obviously given wrong information. If you don't mind me asking which publishers stick to the 21 question types? I don't want to waste time on irrelevant stuff for my son

Thanks

Post by Guest »

He is a year away from the 11+ so I suppose comes into the younger category and I don't want to try proper 11+ papers yet.

I'm interested to know about scores to aim for though as whereas I hope he'll get through everything else his literacy is a bit borderline (Reading age=11, equating to 112 on NFER when tested at school; he needs to be averaging 118 although his maths was 129 so there's some leeway there!) although I've just run a test at home and he came out as 12+ and from the books he's reading and understanding I think the truth is at least somewhere between the two!)

Post by Guest »

although I've just run a test at home and he came out as 12+ and from the books he's reading and understanding I think the truth is at least somewhere between the two!)
Hi Guest,
Would love to know what software/test you used to find a child's reading age.
Asked at school, but was advised that they don't do reading tests??
Any help gratefully received.
Thanks
BW
nell

Post by nell »

I have just been reading through many of the posts on the forum and am really beginning to panic!

My son has been working through the Bond Assessment tasks book levels 3 and 4 as recommended by his tutor. He is not sitting the eleven plus but is preparing for entrance exam tests for independent secondary school. I was under the impression that these books would be adequate preparation but am now beginning to wonder if we should have been using the NFER books instead. Surely the practise can not be so different?!
He is dyslexic and I am rather reluctant to confuse him so late in the day by introducing something new as his exam is in 3 weeks time. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now