What will be on the email on Monday re waiting lists?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sherlock1

What will be on the email on Monday re waiting lists?

Post by sherlock1 »

DD is almost certainly destined for the waiting list on the basis of this info - 211 wanting Alcester.

Does anyone know if the email on Monday will contain any waiting list info or will it simply be the name of a school she is currently being offered?

I know people last year were aware of their place on waiting lists, but did they have to ask for that info seperately? If so do you just email admissions?

Many thanks
JMW

Re: What will be on the email on Monday re waiting lists?

Post by JMW »

Why..we only know 213 secured a place at Ags not that 211 didn't unless I'm missing something
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

Yes 213 is a confirmed offer - but that doesn't mean 211 wouldn't be. Last year the equivalent of 210 was needed, and if anything it might come down slightly due to the extra places on offer in Birmingham this year. So certainly no reason to abandon hope yet. And AGS's waiting list did certainly move by more than 2 points last year anyway, so I'd be surprised if you didn't end up with a place one way or another.
sherlock1

Post by sherlock1 »

I know it's not out of the question to get an offer on monday, but compared to last year she has just missed out on the basis of nearly all the rankings in south warwks (eg swgirls she is 207, lowest offer day 1 to 197 etc) rather than actual score, which I would think is a more reliable indicator. I think she may well get there in the end, I just wondered how we get the waiting list info.
Thanks
Okanagan

Post by Okanagan »

There's still a chance that some who last year would have applied to one of the Birmingham grammars, with one of the South Warwickshire schools as second choice, and got offered the Warwickshire place, will get a Birmingham place this year (as there has been a big expansion in places offered in Birmingham), so it could go a bit further down the rankings.

They usually publish both an automatic qualifying score, and a waiting list range - so if you are in that range you would automatically be on the waiting list, with a fair chance of a place. Historically there is about a 50% chance from the waiting list - obviously the nearer the top you are the better. Last year the waiting list for Alcester spanned the equivalent of 6 points on this year's scoring system, so within a couple of points you'd have a very good chance of a place eventually.

Alcester made a further 25 offers after 1st March last year (23 and 21 in the two previous years when they had less places to offer), as places were turned down or people who had Alcester as a lower preference got waiting list places at their higher preference school. So that still gives you a good shout even based on ranking.
JMW

Post by JMW »

Also the admissions office told me that they offered down to the 458th child in south area last year off the waiting list and you are well within that I should think..
serendippyty

Post by serendippyty »

We were on the waiting list last year. We got an email stating he had his third choice school then on the official letter the next day we realised he was within the waiting list rankings. I phoned to confirm.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now