Advice on SHSB waiting list

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

stressedalready1

Advice on SHSB waiting list

Post by stressedalready1 »

I was wondering if someone could offer some advice please!

We are putting SHSB as 1st choice ic and WHSB 2nd. However, due to the increased number of ic passes this year I'm concerned whether DS will be offered a place as has a lower than anticipated score. Although we are in a fortunate position that DS should be offered a place at WHSB my DS has heart set on SHSB. I'm assuming I would accept WHSB and ask to be put on a waiting list for SHSB??? Do you need to call the school and is there usually a cut off date as to when you can be placed on the list? All new to this and working out all different scenarios in my head at the moment.... Might not even come to it though!!! Fingers crossed but SHSB has always been so popular....am I missing something as to why??? :roll:

Many thanks in advance. :D
Blitz

Re: Advice on SHSB waiting list

Post by Blitz »

If you put SHSB first on your CAF, then get offered your second place choice WHSB, you will automatically go on the waiting list for SHSB. The list stays open until 31st Dec 2014.
stressedalready1

Post by stressedalready1 »

Thank you Blitz for the info...much appreciated.
Jim's Dad

Post by Jim's Dad »

So this scenario has happened to our DS.

1st choice SHSB in catchment but scored 304.18 and has been offered WHSB.

Been saying to him in the lead up that either would be great and he agreed, but the reality of this morning is that he had his heart set on SHSB and is very disappointed.

206 in catchment passes so the split in preference must have been very strongly towards SHSB, at least a 60/40 split.

So, we can ring up on the 11th March to find out where he is on the waiting list (which is in-catchment only there being a separate waiting list for out of catchment I assume) but in the meantime we simply accept the offer from WHSB and we are automatically on the SHSB waiting list and will be contacted if the place becomes available ?
talea51

Post by talea51 »

Jim'sDad, I am sorry to hear that your ds is disappointed. WHSB is a great school and he's done really well to be offered a place there but I understand how disappointed he must be if he had his heart set on SHSB. To my knowledge, you don't actually need to do anything. If Southend is the same as Essex, you don't need to accept the offer as that is assumed unless you specifically reject it and you automatically go on the waiting list for your higher preference school. The only thing you do is call up next week to find out where on the waiting list you are and if you get offered SHSB, you then reject the WHSB offer.

Congratulations again to your DS on passing and on getting a grammar school place, that is a fantastic achievement!
Jim's Dad

Post by Jim's Dad »

Thanks Talea51, and for the information.

It is a fantastic achievement, lots of disappointed out of catchment folks so we're lucky and I'm sure WHSB will prove to be a fine school if that's how it ends up. I would imagine the waiting list won't be that long so we'll know within 3 weeks the likelihood of getting SHSB...
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Is your home LA Southend? If so, if you are looking at your allocation on the Southend website, you should have a response box after each school - options for schools not offered are something like 'waiting list' / 'no response' / 'making other arrangements'. Southend do require you to respond to the offer so would assume you would want to 'accept' WHSB (never leave yourself with no school unless you have an indie or want to home-school!) and 'go on waiting list' for SHSB.

Best wishes and good luck.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Ann221a

Post by Ann221a »

331.238 out of catchment - no place offered for WHSB. Just rang admissions office and he is 37th on the waiting list! Guess no chance then :(
pinkrabbit38

Post by pinkrabbit38 »

What number do we ring to find out where we are on the waiting lists?
ahap

Post by ahap »

Southend LEA - 01702 215007 Ext:5914
'What we have learned is like a handful of earth; What we have yet to learn is like the whole world.' Auvaiyaar.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now