School choice appeal: need of expertise (Etienne?)

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Lea's mum

School choice appeal: need of expertise (Etienne?)

Post by Lea's mum »

Good evening,
I am wondering if someone could help me. DD passed the 11+ last October and decided on Aylesbury High 1st choice and Chesham Grammar 2nd choice. All her friends are going to Chesham but she really had a good vibe about Aylesbury - we did too.
Several months on she is actually not so sure and feel a bit sad to leave her friends, she is almost hoping to get turn down from Ayslebury and to get accepted in Chesham.
My question is - is she wanted to go to Chesham after all what should we do, is there any way to change our ranking? Or do we have to accept the place at Aylesbury but go on the waiting list for Chesham?
We are living in the middle of both, slightly closer to Aylesbury so it is very likely that we will get a place there.
Thanks for your help, much appreciated.
tigger2

Re: School choice appeal: need of expertise (Etienne?)

Post by tigger2 »

Hi !

You will get a real expert along soon I am sure but in the meantime, and assuming that this situation is the same in your area as it is in Kent, you would have to go on the waiting list for a place. I would advise you to accept the offered place and possibly consider appealing for the school but hopefully that won't be necessary and you will be offered a place from the waiting list. Is it worth going to have a look at both schools again ?

Good Luck on the 3rd !
Tigger
Lea's mum

Post by Lea's mum »

Thanks for your reply - I didn't think about going back to visit the schools but this is a very good idea, I will check the next possible date. This will help all of us to put things into perspective, at the end of the day DD chose Aylesbury High because she really enjoyed the school visit, and she knew that her friends were all going to Chesham anyway. DH thinks I worry too much and he is probably right :D
Good luck on the 3rd too!
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

I have sent you a PM.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

Hi Lea's mum. The children do get cold feet especially when they think about their friends. My DD started at a new school knowing no one at all but she was happy enough by the end of the first day and was friendly with several girls by the end of the week.

I had a few of them round at half term for a DVD and pizza and she got to know some others. She has been there a while now and loves every minute of it. Don't worry. You chose the school for good reasons. Be positive about it and your DD will be reassured.

It sounds as though you have 2 great schools there, so your DD is a lucky girl.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

By way of reassurance, AHS has a really welcoming atmosphere. My daughter moved from an Upper to AHS after qualifying through the 12+. Not only did she originally move to the Upper with very few primary classmates, she moved again and knew no-one in her new class at AHS. Despite the other girls having been together for a year already, my daughter slotted right in. There were very few cliques.

Children part with old friends and make new ones very easily. I can't comment on CGS having not been there but it is talked about very positively on here. Good luck whatever the final destination but it sounds like it is a good dilemma to have!
Lea's mum

Post by Lea's mum »

Thanks Sally-Anne, Tigger2, anotherdad and Kingfisher for your kind messages. Good luck for tomorrow, hope you all get the school you want x
Lea's mum

Post by Lea's mum »

Good morning,

To follow up on my previous post, I have read the Appeal guide on this forum and also read again the admissions notes from Herts. I understand that I will need to accept the place offered to my daughter (likely to be AHS) but if she has changed her mind and want to go to Chesham Grammar, I would need to go on the waiting list.

I am unclear on the following questions:
1. Can you accept one place and go on the waiting list for another school at the same time - even if the place you have been allocated is your first preference?
2. Do you have to state why you decide to go on the waiting list of the other school? I will need to be creative there, I am not sure that 'daughter has changed her mind and decided to be with her friends' might tick some boxes!
3. Should I go on the waiting list and also appeal, or should I keep the appeal as last chance?

Sorry about all the above. It is very embarrassing :? and I felt quite sheepish about the whole thing. DD will be happy in either school I am sure, but she did confess this morning that she was thinking more towards Chesham for quite a while, but didn't want to mention it to us as she didn't want to upset us, she 'want us to be happy'. Bless.

Thanks for your help, it is really much appreciated :)
tigger2

Post by tigger2 »

Lea's mum wrote:Good morning,

To follow up on my previous post, I have read the Appeal guide on this forum and also read again the admissions notes from Herts. I understand that I will need to accept the place offered to my daughter (likely to be AHS) but if she has changed her mind and want to go to Chesham Grammar, I would need to go on the waiting list.

I am unclear on the following questions:
1. Can you accept one place and go on the waiting list for another school at the same time - even if the place you have been allocated is your first preference?
2. Do you have to state why you decide to go on the waiting list of the other school? I will need to be creative there, I am not sure that 'daughter has changed her mind and decided to be with her friends' might tick some boxes!
3. Should I go on the waiting list and also appeal, or should I keep the appeal as last chance?

Sorry about all the above. It is very embarrassing :? and I felt quite sheepish about the whole thing. DD will be happy in either school I am sure, but she did confess this morning that she was thinking more towards Chesham for quite a while, but didn't want to mention it to us as she didn't want to upset us, she 'want us to be happy'. Bless.

Thanks for your help, it is really much appreciated :)
Hi !
Yes you can (and should) accept the offered place and go on the waiting list for the other school. You don't have to give any reason at all and if you really want the other school I would also appeal for it as waiting lists and appeals are totally different things. Hopefully though a place will be offered from the waiting list............

Tigger
x
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

As tigger says, but please bear in mind that if you are offered a place at CGS, the AHS place will automatically be withdrawn. You can't hold two offers at one time.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now