Adams Grammar offers 2014

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

e&smum

Adams Grammar offers 2014

Post by e&smum »

Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first time to post something.

I heard from a friend that a boy she knew received a letter from Adams Grammar indicating that they won't give hime an offer because he has got an offer from Thomas Telford. I don't know much details such as what his score is etc. But the boy's parents prefer him to go to Adams if his score is above the cut off point. The reason he was turned down an offer by Adams sounds really weird to me and I wonder if anyone has heard any other cases like this one.

With a DS that is in Year 5, this dose make me feel uncomfortable!

It will be great if someone else can shed some light on this as I am very puzzled.

Thanks a lot!
Happy dad

Re: Adams Grammar offers 2014

Post by Happy dad »

"I heard from a friend that a boy she knew" - sums it up. Likely to be untrue, so best to ignore it.
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

I know a boy who scored 350 and didnt get in :roll:
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

e&smum wrote:Hi everyone,

I am new to this forum and this is my first time to post something.

I heard from a friend that a boy she knew received a letter from Adams Grammar indicating that they won't give hime an offer because he has got an offer from Thomas Telford. I don't know much details such as what his score is etc. But the boy's parents prefer him to go to Adams if his score is above the cut off point. The reason he was turned down an offer by Adams sounds really weird to me and I wonder if anyone has heard any other cases like this one.

With a DS that is in Year 5, this dose make me feel uncomfortable!

It will be great if someone else can shed some light on this as I am very puzzled.

Thanks a lot!

If he put Thomas Telford first on the list and Adams second, and is eligible for a place at TT then that is what he has.
If he had wanted Adam's then he should have put it top.
It is possible that if he wants to go on the Adams waiting list then he can and see if a place comes up
e&smum

Post by e&smum »

Happy dad,
Thanks for your comment. But I don't think it was a made up story as my friend is not that kind of person.

Wolves mum,
Did you know why that boy didn't get in?

hermanmunster,
What I understand is that you don't put Thomas Telford in your preference list. It is applied separately from other school. This friend of mine - her son got an offer from Thomas Telford this year, she said they were not informed by LED or the schools themselves that if you won't get a place from Adams if you were offered a place by Thomas Telford. That's why the parents of this particular boy (my friend's son's classmate) were so shocked.
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

Due to an administrative error.

Thomas Telford's admissions is completely separate from Adams so i dont see how they could link their offers.

What did your friends son score?
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

e&smum wrote:Happy dad,
Thanks for your comment. But I don't think it was a made up story as my friend is not that kind of person.
I wasn't implying it was made up, just lost in translation perhaps. As Wolves Mum says, how would Adams know of the offer from Thomas Telford.

I am no expert on admissions for TT, but AGS would have to be on the LEA preference form, and if AGS was ranked highest, and the required score was achieved, then a place would be offered ( subject to Wolves Mum unbelievable maladministration by WMBC)
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

http://www.telford.gov.uk/info/200168/s ... ransfers/3" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Parents must not include Thomas Telford School on the LA preference form.
I think they should seek clarification from the LA. Thomas Telford applications have not gone through the CAF process so I am not sure how the LEA have have come to the decision that it is their preferred school. There appears to be very little detail on how this separate process will be integrated into the main allocation process.

edit to add - Unless they have been allowed to express their preference, I feel that they should receive an offer from the LA in addition to any offer they may receive from TT. They do not have to accept the offer until the 10th of March.
http://www.ttsonline.net/page/admissions-to-year-7.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Rules of Admission
Applicants will be informed of the outcome of their application by letter posted on
Friday 28 February 2014 and those who have been offered a place will be asked to complete and return an acceptance form by 4.00pm Monday
10 March 2014.
If they have already accepted the offer at TT it could explain why they have not been allocated a LA school.
e&smum

Post by e&smum »

Hi Wolves mum,
I don't know the score of this particular boy (he is not my friend's son).

But I seem to have some more pictures about this matter now after speaking to my friend. She said they received 2 letters - one was from Thomas Telford telling them her son is offered a place and the other one from the council saying that they will not give her son any place for the 4 state schools on their preference list because her son has got an offer from Thomas Telford. So it looks like it's to do with the LEA rather than the schools themselves.

Can the LEA actually do this? Does this happen to any other areas such as Birmingham, Wolverhampton or Walsall?
e&smum

Post by e&smum »

Hi mitasol,

Thank you very much for the information provided. From what I have gathered so far, the boy or his parents didn't accept the offer from TT - they much prefer an offer from Adams. Please read my reply to Wolves mum.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now