How do you get help with uniform and lunch cost?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Roz12

How do you get help with uniform and lunch cost?

Post by Roz12 »

Hi all,

Do you have to get 100% bursary to get help with uniform and lunches?

Please let me know

Roz
Reading Mum

Re: How do you get help with uniform and lunch cost?

Post by Reading Mum »

I can't help feeling that independent schools are not the best choice if you need help with uniform and lunches on top of bursary. Some schools include lunch in the fees but most Indie uniform is expensive.
The Indie I was involved with would not have helped with uniform although the parents assoc did run a 2nd hand shop.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

I think this is the case - it really is only if you have a particularly generous school giving a 100% plus some money towards uniform and trips etc - though not sure about lunches if they are not already included in the fees (some do some don't)

All the indies I have been involved with have had very active secondhand uniform shops going on - often run by the parents.
shootmenow

Post by shootmenow »

and most of the girls at my DDs' school opt for 2nd hand over new- new uniform is like wearing cardboard. My girls have only ever had new swimming costumes and games socks.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Some schools include lunch however, apart from children who are eligible for free school meals, even state schools require parents to fund lunches. As others have said, if you can't afford new uniform, try the PTA secondhand store. These are just the first of many costs that even those with 100% bursaries will have to face.
lefol

Post by lefol »

Do check with the school but I am sure you have to pay for uniforms if you are on a bursary , but this may vary depending on the school . When ds was in year 7 we bought uniforms from John Lewis . The blazer ( poor quality) was £95 and the other items came to over £300. Mouth guard for rugby was about £39 . He lost half the items in the first term and I decided to buy blazers and everything else from the second hand school shop after the first term . It is quite acceptable to buy from the second hand shop and even the posh and famous do !
Freddiefox2002

Post by Freddiefox2002 »

My son's school (starting in Sept) includes lunches in the fees (we were lucky enough to land a substantial bursary) and all curriculum based trips are also paid for. We have ti pay for uniform, but I intend to head for the 2nd hand shop first!
lefol

Post by lefol »

Your ds or dd can always opt for packed lunch . Our school lunches work out to about 4.30 per day and ds does not always like school lunches and is quite fussy about his meals ...
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Lunch is sometimes included I think. I am sure no school would want you to turn down a bursary offer because you are struggling to pay for uniforms and lunches. I am sure this isn't a unique situation. You should ask.And not be embarrassed to do so.Your child is obviously wanted as a pupil by the school to have been offered a bursary.
GGMum

Post by GGMum »

When DD1 joined CLSG I spent a fortune on uniform, only to find out that everyone buys them at second hand sale - you can pick up shirts for £5 and skirts for £7. Ask the PTA at your new school when the next second hand uniform sale is and you should be able to buy a whole set for not much.
Agree with other posters re: lunch - most schools allow you to have a pay-as-you-go system where you can do packed lunches most days and then get a lunch from the cafeteria if necessary. A lot of kids do packed lunches because they don't like the food at school so your DC will not stand out at all.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now