Heeeeelp, decisions decisions!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Rukuriro

Heeeeelp, decisions decisions!

Post by Rukuriro »

My DS sat the 11+ for the Adams and QMGS as well as the Birmingham Grammar Schools. Unfortunately he didn't get good enough scores for both tests but he did well considering the amount of time he had to prepare for the tests (I only found out about 11+ quite late and we also had a month's holiday abroad). I decided to carry on tutoring him myself at home and entered him for the 11+ test for boarders at Lancaster Royal Grammar School in Feb this year. He passed the test and has been offered a place as a boarder and I am really proud of him. I was hoping he would be offered a place at Thomas Telford, unfortunately this has not happened :( . He has been offered a place at a church school (St Peter's Collegiate School) which is highly oversubcribed. My predicament is this...I now have to make a decision between Lancaster (£9000 a year) and St Peters. Any thoughts? What are the pros and cons of each?
hermanmunster

Re: Heeeeelp, decisions decisions!

Post by hermanmunster »

1) which school do you like best when you visit?

2) Does he really, really, really want to board?

3) do you like the M6? :wink:

4) Don't answer this if you don't want to but if he did not get Adams QMGS etc then are you absolutley sure he will cope OK at Lancaster? bearing in mind that he will be a long way from home if he is finding it hard.

(I have visited Lancaster grammar and think it is a very nice school with good atmosphere.)
Rukuriro

Post by Rukuriro »

Thanks Hermanmunster, I'm quite happy to respond to your questions.

1) I loved Lancaster. When I went to St Peters for the open day I was fed up within 10mins of being there :wink: . The atmosphere at Lancaster was pleasant and more personal, the head teacher took personal interest in each of the boys. There were only 11 boys who took the test on the day (they had filled some places with boys who had taken the test in Sep).

2) I'm quite sure he would have no problems boarding. Over the years I have had to rely on other people looking after him being a widowed parent. He has gone to breakfast club after school clubs since reception, and has stayed over with friends for sleeopvers etc. Also on the day we went for the test, they spent some time with the boys who are already in year 7 and even played football with them (and managed to score a few goals :wink: ).

3) Not sure I like the M6 though :wink: . The school said that some boys do go home on the train once they are older. And it's a 1hr 30mins journey with no changes.

4) Like I said, I believe if we had had more time to prepare he would have scored good marks (I think). Lancaster only admit boys if they think they will cope with the pace. Only 11 boys sat for the test but I know one boy who was not offered a place because he didn't score high enough. There may be more who didn't get in but I only know of the one boy because I exchanged numbers with his mum.
parents666

Post by parents666 »

Will Adams consider your DS as a boarder? You can speak to them. Otherwise just go with your gut feelings.....
Rukuriro

Post by Rukuriro »

I don't think they would offer him a place...
indigop

Post by indigop »

If it were me then my child would have to be 100% happy to board.

It's a huge thing for an 11 year old to do.

There are chances to get into a local grammar school after 11 and also independent schools more locally with scholarship options.
LSHACK

Post by LSHACK »

Hi. I know of a couple of people whose DC's go to St Peters. It is a really good school and they are thriving there. If it were me I would be taking the place at St Peters and saving the £9,000 for uni fees :D. Don't forget your DS always has the option of moving to one of the grammars for 6th form.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Rukuriro wrote:I don't think they would offer him a place...

have you checked the scores for this ?

Can appreciate the problem - the Lancaster school is very nice but means a big change in lifestyle ie boarding and ultimately does cost a fair bit. Sounds like some more visits are on the cards.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now