Help please appeals advice needed!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

spa

Help please appeals advice needed!

Post by spa »

Please help my son got 202 and the cut off at Handsworth Grammer for boys was 203. He did not get any of the comprehensives we chose either. he has been offered a place at Great Barr which is very far and not a school suited to my son.

Please help as any advice on the likelyhood of a successful appeal will be appreciated. Has anyone sucessfully appealed any grammer school places?

Spa
hermanmunster

Re: Help please appeals advice needed!

Post by hermanmunster »

Hi Spa

Presumably at 202 you are on the waiting list ? you need to check and find out where you are on this list - hopefully something will come of that

- also need to check why you didn't get the comprehensive you wanted - are you too far away?

Re appeals you - you need to start reading this: http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeals" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

GS appeals in Birmingham tend to be hard to win - you may also want to appeal for the comprehensive you wanted.
spa

Post by spa »

Thanks for your reply- Yes he is on the waiting list. He is 18th. does anyone kow the likelihood of moving up the waiting list from a rather low point?
And you are right he did not get the comprehensives because they said alhtough all of the schools are near us we are just a little too far on the cut off point for each of them! Many people in my area have the same problem.

Any advice on winning the appeals will be appreciated!
um

Post by um »

I would check if Handsworth Grammar have over-offered their places or not?

They will have a published admission number (PAN). If they offered over this then you may need more than 18 boys to choose a place elsewhere, in order to get a place for your son.
If they only offered up to PAN, there is more hope as it is conceivable that at least 18 boys have other offers in the Indie schools....

I would also talk directly to the school, as in my understanding, they are pretty accommodating.

What are your reasons for appeal? Were there circumstances, such as long-term illness or a bereavement, that unfairly affected your son's performance in the exam?
spa

Post by spa »

I spoke with the school and they said all of their appeals are being dealt with by Birmingham admissions office.

As to his test time, to be perfectly honest, there was no particular reason except for the fact that he was very nervous and said he missed a whole section out as his mind went balnk. I am not sure I can appeal on these grounds?

Considering he missed almost 36 questions according to him, he did not perform badly! The type of questions he missed he never had a problem with when doing them at home so I assume that he just blanked out! Anyway I am not sure that is ground for appealing.

He has moved one place up to 18th!Baby steps..hopefully we will get there!
IzzyWizzy74

Post by IzzyWizzy74 »

Hi Spa,
I my DS is also 18th on the waiting list for Vesey having missed almost an entire section. Birmingham LEA advised me not to hold out much hope for the waiting list but when I phoned the Admissions office for Birmingham Grammar Schools they kindly checked the paper, advised me that it fully supported the story that DS was telling me and advised me to submit the appeals form to instigate a review of what would have happened without the mishap he described (thinking that 1 section had 2 pages not 6). It seems straightforward to submit and I've asked his headmaster for a summary of this week's mock SATS to go with it. I guess only time will tell.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now