Trinity school sevenoaks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mystery

Trinity school sevenoaks

Post by mystery »

What was the distance cut off fr church attenders and non -church attenders?

Are parents of current year 7 pleased with academic progress at this school?
cs13

Re: Trinity school sevenoaks

Post by cs13 »

Trinity was oversubscribed this year, meaning it could apply its oversubscription policy to select 50% of its intake from regular churchgoers.

The catchment for the 50% non-churchgoers was around two miles. (A non-churchgoing child in west Sevenoaks who put Trinity as their first choice did not get a place, and was instead given the nightmare option of Knole Academy).

The catchment for the 50% regular churchgoers is likely to be larger than two miles as churchgoers get two bites of the admissions cherry by qualifying in both the churchgoing and non-churchgoing categories. (I have not yet heard of any churchgoers who didn’t get a Trinity place).

This year’s Trinity offers are likely to be much stickier than last year’s because the offers were done through KCC – meaning that (unlike last year) it was not possible to get an offer from both Trinity and a grammar school. So this year’s Trinity offers will almost all be to those who put Trinity as their first choice. So (unlike last year) almost all of these offers will be taken up as none of these parents will want to risk Knole unless they have particularly tough, robust children.

A few of the Trinity offers will have been made to children who passed the 11+ but didn’t get a grammar school place on the first cut (some boys to the north of Sevenoaks are in this situation), but these boys are likely to eventually get grammar places from the waiting list, and this will free up a few extra Trinity places.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Thanks - that is good news on the churchgoing category. I know some disappointed non- church-goers. It is a shame the school can't be bigger than 4 form entry!
Chococat

Post by Chococat »

I know of local children who missed out on Trinity.
I agree Mystery,it is a shame it can't be bigger than 4 form entry.I wonder if the grammar school doesn't go ahead,whether Trinity will be able to add an extra couple of forms?
mystery

Post by mystery »

Are you suggesting a Trinity annex planted in the empty grammar annex plot?
Chococat

Post by Chococat »

Yes,I think so!
pp1

Post by pp1 »

Hi everyone.

I was curious as to how Trinity were offering their places as I was under the assumption that if they were oversubscribed then 50% of places would go to churchgoers and the remaining 50% to non church goers - so I decided to call Trinity to find out this information first hand.

The School have confirmed to me that they run a very fair system. When oversubscribed as they were this year, once they have accepted siblings/children with special needs etc, then the remaining number of places is made up 50/50 church goers/non-churchgoers. So to confirm, the 50% of non-church goers does not also include children who are church goers and who missed out on churchgoers place. Sorry for my wording!!

Hope this information helps, especially for those who are non church goers and have an interest in this school.
mystery

Post by mystery »

It's the Bennett admissions policy I can't get my head round where under certain circumstances people are moved from one category to another. I have always found it ambiguous.
whichwaytogo

Post by whichwaytogo »

Thanks for the very useful information. Really glad to hear that Trinity is doing well and very popular. I don't want to be sanctimonious but did think that the quote at the top about being given the "nightmare option" of Knole was a bit unfair. I understand if it is not what the family want of course, that is a bit of a nightmare, but out of fairness to all parents on the forum, I do think we should be mindful of everyone's options.
mystery

Post by mystery »

I heard that this year there were some people who put Knole first and did not get it. Is that right?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now