Spanish

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
LanguageMum

Spanish

Post by LanguageMum »

My daughter is in year 7. She is good at languages but they only do French at her school. She would like to continue with Spanish which she started at primary school. Are there any self study language courses which might be suitable for children her age. She is a bit beyond the basic Usbourne type.

Thanks
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

RGS High WYcombe have some materials on their website - is this any good for what you need?

http://atschool.eduweb.co.uk/rgshiwyc/s ... /index.htm

Post by Guest »

I tried tutoring my children with French, but it's very hard to maintain forward progress without a good syllabus to follow. You could try doing something like following a secondary level course book (my daughter's school uses Caminos) in conjunction with something like ******** (search the web). ***** is brilliant for listening and speaking, because everything is presented in the target language. However, it is completely devoid of any grammar study - hence the suggestion to use it in conjunction with a school book.

My personal experience with on-line and computer based course materials is that they take a topic-based approach, and you don't feel like you are moving forwards. At ***********takes you through a series of lessons in sequence.

Best of luck.

Edited by a moderator. Breaks forum Rules on advertising. Sorry.
perplexed

Post by perplexed »

How about signing her on for some kind of distance learning GCSE course. There are loads around these days, and I think there are ones that start from scratch. It may not quite be aimed at the 11 year old beginner, but you may be able to pick and choose a bit and slow the pace down if necessary. Others in the family might benefit from the materials.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now