What extracurricular activities are there
Any advice will be really appreciated
Thanks
TIDDLYMUM

Re: AGSB

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

Hi

My son is in Y10.

They get homework, and it's stepping up as they move up the school.

IN Y7 - they get some but it's not overwhelming by any means.

Communications with school are good. If you need to hear from them you will, so if you don't all is well. Teachers are without exception excellent in all aspects.

There any many clubs, associations and extra curricular activities if you are so inclined.

I can honestly say there is nothing negative to say of any significance.
NS1

Post by NS1 »

I have a son in year 7. Some children reported that there was too much homework when they first started school, but to be honest it was not as much as some made it out to be (perhaps more of a transition issue). A lot is to be said about being organised and most children do not see the volume as an issue now. Once they find their feet, they are ok and I think the residential in October really helps them integrate.

Extra curricular activities.. lots to choose from and you can see some of these on the website, but others also take place over lunch times.

Teachers are happy to communicate and they will contact you if they have any concerns. I am really pleased with everything. My son is extremely organised now and does his homework on the day it is set and has plenty of spare time too. He even packs his school bag on Friday ready for the Monday.....how did that happen??

I understand from my son that if a student needs extra support in a subject, they will help.

I am sure your son will have a great experience!
ConcernedMum

Post by ConcernedMum »

My son is in Year 11 and I am really impressed by the way the school is supporting the boys through revision etc as individuals. We've been very happy with it all the way through.
parents666

Post by parents666 »

Thanks you all for your valuable comments :)
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Hello,

Just wanted to know if AGSB does like an induction week for the new Y7. I know that they do an induction evening for parents as well as New Y7s,but do the new Y7s go to school on their own and spend a week getting to know school before summer holidays! Our local academy does it- so just wondered.

And what about uniform details- any tips and advice where to buy and what :roll: to buy and what :lol: not to buy. Does the induction evening cover this. Where is the uniform shop. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

They have a night in June (I think) When the boys go and meet their form teacher and classmates, whilst the parents get a session with the head/head of year. The uniform people are there that night. I bought the sports kit from them, at the time Taylor and Cross was still open and their blazers were far superior quality to the official supplier, so I bought blazer and tie from them. I have heard Monkhouses might supply some of it so worth checking with them.

I bought the rest from m and s- thought I did also buy the official school jumper which is 100% acrylic , washed badly and cost £23 :shock: . After that I bought plain grey sweaters (now black in Y9/10).

I am hoping the second blazer I bought might last this year and next- but at the rate my DS is growing , I might be shelling out for another soon!!
Oshosh

Post by Oshosh »

Thanks TM. Is it necessary to buy school jumpers or could we just get any grey jumpers. Where do you buy yours.

The blazers- where do you get them now.can we try blazars during induction evening. The induction evening is july........quite late for me to be organized.

Apart what you mentioned, could we buy white shirts and black trousers from anywhere? Short sleeved shirts-is that okay. How do you label clothes. I have never labelled DS stuff, as the uniform company for the primary school, prints his name on the size label.

What does the PE kit consist of. Do we need to buy anything else- like hockey sticks, cricket bat.....

Financially- it is going to be tight, i am trying to hold my breadth.

I know i am asking too many questions, but i am the type who likes to be prepared for all :roll: my DS is also turning out like that. Pls let us know if we bothering.........

Thanks
TIDDLYMUM

Post by TIDDLYMUM »

I got grey jumpers from Next and Mand S- I would not buy another school jumper as the quality was not good.They only need a jumper for winter anyway- my son dispended with his about two weeks ago. I got shirts and trousers from m and s, Their non iron shirts are pricey, but last the full year and stay white ( I hate grey looking white shirts). I think most boys wear long sleeved, so I wouldn't buy short for now or he might stand out.They have to wear blazers most of the time and I think they have to ask in class if they want to take them off :lol: .

Labels I got the iron on printed ones from a local uniform shop, again they sell them at m, and s for 6.50. I have also got embroidered sew on ones, but haven't used them for a long time. I also bought some printed stickers online for pencil cases,maths set, dictionary, inside shoes etc as boys are prone to losing things.

No bats etc required, they need 2 sports kits and gumshield which I bought from the uniform supplier.Plus trainers and indoor sports shoes.

I started buying about now- the bits that I could. I think by start of the six weeks holidays I had everything except the shoes. It was a bit of an outlay.
parents666

Post by parents666 »

Hi TIDDLYMUM
On the school website the grey jumper has has got a red border. Would it be ok to buy grey only jumper? Also could you please let me know about the extracurricular activities in school....
Thanks in advance
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now