Scholarship vs Bursary

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

mkl

Scholarship vs Bursary

Post by mkl »

DD has been offered 100% fee remission from equally desirable Indies.

Indie 1 - 100% bursary (day pupil)

Indie 2 - 40% scholarship + 60% bursary (boarder)

I prefer Indie 2, DD favours Indie 1.

I'm having extreme difficulty choosing. Your thoughts?
Kingfisher

Re: Scholarship vs Bursary

Post by Kingfisher »

Well, that's an easy one - do you want your child to live at home with you or not?

Of course you will have to submit financial details for the bursary each year and the bursary might vary depending on household income but you know all that. The scholarship stays but your child will have to demonstrate that she is meritorious by maintaining the standard they expect from her.

You haven't told us anything about either school so we can't really advise which might be better academically, socially or in terms of extra curricular, I am afraid.

If there's nothing between them and you can't decide, go with what your child wants.
mkl

Post by mkl »

Thank you Kingfisher :)

I wanted someone to tell me that.

I will pm you which schools.
Amber

Post by Amber »

My advice would be the exact opposite of Kingfisher.
If there's nothing between them and you can't decide, go with what you want. You are the parent with the benefit of at least, I am guessing, 20 years more experience of life than your daughter. You have to manage the logistics of the school for the next seven years. You get to choose, I say.
pheasantchick

Post by pheasantchick »

Why don't you revisit both schools ands we what feels right. What are the reasons for favouring each school?
mkl

Post by mkl »

Thanks Amber! There's nothing between the schools. It would have been a no-brainer if only 1 of them waived full fees.

pheasantchick, DD's reason for wanting to go to the bursary school is her friend also going there. I prefer the scholarship school because of the "scholar" label. Both schools feel right and are equally desirable.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

mkl wrote: I prefer the scholarship school because of the "scholar" label. .
I really think there has to be a little bit more than that to attract you to one over the other!! -

TBH if your DC prefers a day school then don't send them to a boarding school, they have really go to be sure that that is what they want.
lefol

Post by lefol »

I agree with Hermanmunster . If your dd, prefers the day school then let her go there . She has worked incredibly hard to secure such a large bursary place . There is always the risk that she may resent you for sending her to a boarding school where she would be isolated and separated from her friends .
mkl

Post by mkl »

hi hermanmunster. It sounds very simplistic but it's just the way it is. Well of course there are the tennis lessons as co-curriculum in the boarding school, longer school day etc but these are not deal breakers.

I tried to pump DD for her reasons that has something to do with the school themselves. She mentioned that the day school would be easier to navigate as it is smaller. What didn't she like about boarding school? She said that when she peaked at one classroom, the teacher looked really mean; she therefore concludes that the teachers are "nicer" at day school. What will you make of comments like these?

DD is very young (August birthday) and oblivious to her extraordinary achievements (she also has an offer from a super selective state grammar). She was much happier winning Star of the Week at her small primary than winning places at fab senior schools. If it were up to her, she wouldn't go to school at all and would rather play computer games all day.

Thanks lefol. I was using the term "friend" loosely. This friend is actually a girl she met 3-4 times when they both took exams at the same schools. But yes, I'm inclined to give way as I love the day school as much. The issue is just really "bursary kid" versus "scholar" and day versus boarding.

I shall ask for a boarding taster.
Jean.Brodie

Post by Jean.Brodie »

Hi mkl! Wonderful series of choices your talented daughter has earned. Congratulations to you and your family.

We were offered some indy scholarships for our DD. I then looked into the detail of what they covered and what they did not - all the extras such as school trips large and small, an array of day, 'evening' and sports uniforms, meals, music lessons, etc. It's worth reading the fine print to double check.

I wouldn't worry about the labels, 'bursary' vs. 'scholar'. Kids know who are bright, who are the brightest, who are the best at what and who their best friends are. This is what will count over seven years.

Some people swear by boarding schools. I'm afraid I would be wary. I was sent to a private boarding school with one of my siblings. It had a big impact on both of us. I'm in my fifties now and I still live out some of the consequences, and the boarding was for only two years. Nearly all the adults I know who boarded as kids are different from those who didn't, and not necessarily happier or stronger overall. .... There is no love like the day to day warmth of family, no comfort like sharing the everyday little things. So I would not send my child away to board.

Anyhow, it's still a great position to be in. ... Which are the indy and grammar schools, by the way?
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now