Lets get reading ! your childs favourite books.

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sunshine 11

Lets get reading ! your childs favourite books.

Post by Sunshine 11 »

So, as reading seems to be the key as well as a good range of vocab, I just wondered if anyone wanted to share their DD or DSs favourite books/ authors. My DD who is Y5 has the following faves, what are yours ?:

- Jacqueline Wilson
- Judy Bloom
- Stacey Gregg
- Lauren St John
- Cathy Cassidy

She adores horses and reading about peoples lives, not really interested in suspense or fairytale themed such as Hobbit or Lord of the rings though.

I find it tricky with DDs who have a good reading ability, as some adults books have such adult themes. She is keen to read "Flowers In the Attic" series which I enjoyed reading but I think I was a teenager ! She also quite enjoys reading my old books for school such as the Sweet Valley High series, again, aimed at teenagers I think, but in that age of innocence, there is nothing untoward in them.

I would love to hear your suggestions as she is getting through the books so quickly I need to re-stock again soon !
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Cup of tea

Re: Lets get reading ! your childs favourite books.

Post by Cup of tea »

Books my yr 5 has enjoyed this year:

Anne Kerr - When Hitler Stole Pink Rabbit
Diary of Anne Frank
Any David Walliams
Geek Girl - Holly Smale
Any Malorie Blackman (not noughts and crosses - for older teen) but Thief/Hacker etc
Any Michael Morpurgo
Framed - Frank Cottrill Boyce
All Ruby Redforts by Lauren Child (v funny and clever)
The Haunting of Charity Delafield
Pullman's Northern Lights series
The fault in our Stars - John Green
Holes
The Thornthwaite Inheritance

She is now trying to read the classics - Sense and Sensibility/Pride and Prej. and Jane Eyre! She doesn't like any fantasy or Hunger Games style but there is plenty out there!
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Same as cup of tea

If she is getting through these quickly it's time to introduce more challenging books!

Classics like E Nesbitt, Anne of Green Gables, wind in the Willows, Alice etc. visit a big old secondhand bookshops, those Victorian efforts are fascinating for kids.lits more extensive vocab than modern days. Even 60s and 70 are better than now.

Also poetry, newspapers and magazines, fact-my two girls weren't as keen as fiction, but liked horrible history, the knowledge, murderous maths was good.

Roman Mysteries, other historical things for kids.

Mine like Percy Jackson a lot, Artemis Fowl, Jiggy Mchue but these seem to be "boy" books! Lol
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

My DD loves reading & will read anything (with a good story!) i.e. Classics such as
CS Lewis - Narnia, E.Nesbitt - Railway Children, Arthur Ransom - Swallows & Amazons, Enid Blyton - Adventure series plus Tom's Midnight Garden, Swiss Family Robinson, Treasure Island, Secret Garden etc. etc. so many fab oldies.
plus newer ones like Michael morpurgo, Frank Cottrell Boyce, David Walliams

Personally not too keen on Jacqueline Wilson!
Last edited by Watermelon8 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 9:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Watermelon8

Post by Watermelon8 »

Oh & Horrible Histories etc. are great too esp for my DS who prefers non-fiction :D
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

With our permission (but a few provisos!), DS2 (yr6) has moved on to some of the adult novels by his current favourite author, James Patterson. He has decided that these will be kept for home reading, though, and more suitable fare such as Terry Pratchett goes with him to school.

As a source of reading material, in addition to the library and "proper" bookshops, DS2's class teacher recommended these people to us:

https://healthyplanet.org/get-involved/ ... centre-map

Our nearest branch in Basildon has a brilliant selection (plus three more in the children's section thanks to our donation :) ).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
scaredycat

Post by scaredycat »

Young Sherlock Holmes, anything by Robert Muchamore or Anthony Horowitz. I always found it much harder to find books for DS, but the love reading for kids website was always good (although you have to search an age group higher for able readers). The kindles were a great buy too as they can download and read a sample, a good way of getting them to try new things, it has the advantage too of them being able to look up the meanings of words while they read.

DD is easier, probably because I can suggest things I liked when I was a child. She's just read Hero on a bicycle - Shirley Hughes, Stay where you are and then leave -John Boyne. Also likes classics and is quite keen on poems too such as Old possum's books of practical cats and a really nice anthology (forgotten what it's called so will have to check). At school book club the children loved Rooftoppers by Katherine Rundell.

Sorry for the long post, we're a bit book mad in our house! I think it's also important to talk about books with them, the comprehension bit is important too.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Sweet Valley High series
Ahhh - happy memories :D I also loved Nancy drew, as well as Mallory towers and st Claire's, and the complete little women series, where in fact my fave was "Joe's boys". I progressed to georgette hayer, and then by the time I was 12/13 got seduced by my big sisters slightly more raunchy selection.

The boys are all completely different, they only share a dislike for Harry potter and Lord of the rings. Ds1 loves adventure books, thrillers and humour. Ds2 likes quite serious, moving books, particularly based around WW2 Michael morpurgo war stories, boy in striped pj's and currently the really superb "run rabbit tun", he also loves Percy Jackson.

Ds 3. Loves reading, far more than the other two, he really enjoyed the shorter gothic illustrated series by Pullman..particularly the scarecrow and his servant. He is currently reading "I am David", but he also adores short Greek mythology stories and is not adverse to a bit of "middle school" to read in bed, but reads them too quickly to justify their cost, and the library has not hot them on the shelves.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Fri Mar 14, 2014 10:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

Loving the suggestions. Keep them coming :D thank you for your posts so far.
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

DS is currently working through the Artemis Fowl series, loves David Walliams, Roald Dahl and The Beano. He had to read Treasure Island for English but didn't enjoy it.

DD loves a wider variety Michael Morpurgo, Jacqueline Wilson, David Walliams (which causes problems in our house as they are DSs books) Roald Dahl, Enid Blyton and is willing to try anything.