St. Olaves Tutor near Bexleyheath or Sidcup

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
raone

St. Olaves Tutor near Bexleyheath or Sidcup

Post by raone »

Hi All,
My DS is in Year 5 and will appear St. Olaves exams this year. He reads lots of books but writing is his weak area. Can you please suggest(PM) a tutor in Bexleyheath or Sidcup area ?

Regards
Raone

We try to keep the forum as safe as possible - we don't allow tutors to be openly recommended, because it attracts posts with fake recommendations ('dodgy' advertising solely designed to solicit business on the internet).
It is also not unknown for unscrupulous competitors to 'plant' posts seeking to denigrate the opposition!

Genuine recommendations from forum members by PM only (private message) are permitted - but be aware of the possibility that someone who appears to be a 'helpful parent' offering advice may not be all they seem! There could be an ulterior motive.

Always treat recommendations from unknown persons with great caution.
However, we have many long standing members (check carefully the date of joining and number of posts) who make a very valuable contribution to the forum. If you receive a private recommendation from one of them, it could be worth considering.

Please let us know if you think anyone is abusing the system by soliciting for business or 'spamming'.
It's easy to report a possible problem - just click on the red exclamation mark that appears with every post and PM: Image

Note:
  • • Institutional Course details can be found here

• Intensive Holiday Courses can be found here
Kind regards

ForumAdmin
rosehulk

Re: St. Olaves Tutor near Bexleyheath or Sidcup

Post by rosehulk »

I think St Olaves is all multi choice?
robofish

Post by robofish »

No, there is a large element of freestyle writing. In the past it has been in the form of a report, a letter, and this year was a continuation of an existing text. Very hard to "revise" for, and my advice would be to trawl the web for interesting things for a 9 year old to write about and start getting him doing this maybe once or twice a week.

St O's expect a side at least of A4. (With a maximum of two sides).

My eldest is a good writer, and has just got into the school. My youngest is also good but far less inclined to show it, so this is the approach we will take with him for a while. Try and kindle the imagination and get him to write naturally with enthusiasm.
raone

Post by raone »

rosehulk wrote:I think St Olaves is all multi choice?
Hi rosehulk,
The Maths is standard form, not multiple choice.
raone

Post by raone »

robofish wrote:No, there is a large element of freestyle writing. In the past it has been in the form of a report, a letter, and this year was a continuation of an existing text. Very hard to "revise" for, and my advice would be to trawl the web for interesting things for a 9 year old to write about and start getting him doing this maybe once or twice a week.

St O's expect a side at least of A4. (With a maximum of two sides).

My eldest is a good writer, and has just got into the school. My youngest is also good but far less inclined to show it, so this is the approach we will take with him for a while. Try and kindle the imagination and get him to write naturally with enthusiasm.

Thanks roboship for sharing your experience. Did you use any books to help build creating writing ?
robofish

Post by robofish »

No, we didn't use a book. Our method was roughly this:

We got our son reading & reading and reading. And also reading to him. This started with Horrid Henry and Mr Gum, moved on to Alex Rider & Harry Potter and anything by Rick Riordan. This enhanced his vocabulary, and showed him how stories can be meticulously constructed. It also showed him how using words can be funny, or dramatic etc. Reading to (or with) them also helps them learn characterisation and how individual voices are different.

I think a camping trip where he and his friends started telling ghost stories at night made him want to start writing. And from there he really went off on his own without our intervention. He even wrote a 17 chapter "book"! After that, for the last 6 months, he had a tutor to fine tune him.

With DS2, the same grounding has been done, but he hasn't had the eureka moment yet. I intend to use something like the ideas presented here:

http://www.kidsplayandcreate.com/50-pos ... -for-kids/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

to hopefully kickstart him. Get him to choose a few and go for it. DS1 was so easy, that I'm afraid I'm pretty much in your boat now with DS2.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

Talk to me about Olave's.... :)

Maths:
60 mins, 30 Q. Be prepared to see some of the longest questions (full page long) and where you require to show workings in a neat handwriting and solve question with sleek methods.

English: Total 60 mins

Compre + Grammar - all MCQ. Very high standards and extremely ambitious vocabulary.

Creative Writing - 2 pages A4 is the max they want. You may write less with a risk of losing marks on quantity. This element is kind of decider as most of the top 120 boys do exceptionally well in Maths & Compre section.

The margins are quite narrow now. Even 1 or 2 odd question wrong in Maths are enough ruin the chances.

No wonder why it is called "Super-selective".