Commuting from Redbridge/Ilford to Southend schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
redbridge

Commuting from Redbridge/Ilford to Southend schools

Post by redbridge »

Hi,

My DD has been offered a place in WCGH and we have accepted the offer, I got to know that a private coach does the school run from this area to the schools, I heard its a very early start and gets back by 17:00!

It would also be great to hear from parents with kids commuting from or close to Ilford/Redbridge area.

How are the kids coping with after school/homework? Is the daily commute too much of a stress? would moving closer to the school have been a better choice?

Thanks.
KB

Re: Commuting from Redbridge/Ilford to Southend schools

Post by KB »

Certainly for Colchester GS getting home at 5pm isn't that unusual and many commute from Colchester to Ipswich getting home at a similar time.
I think a 7.15 start is pretty common as well.

Would you need to move house straight away or could you wait and see how DC gets on with the commuting? Some children do enjoy the social aspect of it.

Great news on getting the place!
redbridge

Post by redbridge »

Thanks KB,

We will have to move by this year end, Personally I would prefer to move locally if she copes with the commute.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Do you mean Westcliff High School for Girls?

Being nearer a station on the c2c line - eg Upminster - would help; loads of WHSG / WHSB and St Thomas More pupils come in on the train to Chalkwell (15 - 20 minutes walk to the schools depending on how fast your DD walks :lol: . Bit of a hill up from the station to Leigh Road, though). A lot seem to arrive on the train which gets in at 08.02, so the one which would be the 07.34 from Upminster. An advantage of the train over road travel is that the trains usually keep running fairly normally when it snows.

I hesitate to ask, but did you (or more importantly your DD) try out the journey before applying for a place?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
SJDK1723

Post by SJDK1723 »

Hi,

My DS is in yr7 at WHSB and travels on this private coach from ilford. He leaves at 7am and returns approx 4:45. He loves the commute as he gets to interact with fellow students socially. Both boys and girls travel on the same coach. It's a peace of mind for us as parents with almost a door to door service. DS has enough time for h/w and out of school activities, but time management is crucial.

Hope this helps, Good luck.
redbridge

Post by redbridge »

Hi ToadMum, yes I meant Westcliff High School for Girls.
Thanks for your detailed reply.
No to be honest we did not try out the journey, we were banking on a different school however when we visited westcliff on the open day my DD really liked the school and then we asked a few students who mentioned many girls commute from near Ilford, so decided it must be doable, and when my DD did well in the Essex 11+ we decided to go with Westcliff.

SJDK1723,
Thanks for your post it is really helpful to know that your DS is coping well and enjoying it, Its reassuring to know that its safe and kids enjoy the coach journey.

Thanks
NEER

Post by NEER »

Hi, Can anyone please share the contact details for the coaches running from Ilford/Newbury Park/Seven Kings to Southend/WC?
ayesha11

Post by ayesha11 »

Hi its crest coaches for westcliff boys

I got the following response from them
Hi Ayesha

Yes we start at Gants Hill Benton road and continue onto Seven King station and Goodmayes through to Chadwell Heath ,Sorry I thought you were in Gidea Park
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now