Additional Entries into Ripon Grammar School Y11 - Official

Eleven Plus (11+) in Yorkshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Snowdrops

Additional Entries into Ripon Grammar School Y11 - Official

Post by Snowdrops »

There is to be an additional entry point into Ripon Grammar school with the test being sat in February 2013.

An excerpt from the head's letter:

The third form intake will be organised later this term and the entrance test will be advertised later this term and the test sat around February 2013. The school is allowed to admit over PAN (Planned Admission Numbers) and the LA is comfortable with this. Thirteen places for new students will be available and the usual admissions policy will be applied with four places of the thirteen places reserved for boarders.

A link to the letter:

http://www.ripongrammar.co.uk/letters_h ... php?id=263" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and a link to the 5 year strategy outlining the proposed intake (see page 5 for actual reference):

http://www.ripongrammar.co.uk/uploads/f ... ebsite.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It will be interesting to see if they fill the extra places and how they will justify not being able to accept an extra 13 each year for year 7 should anyone raise it at an appeal.
brooke68

Re: Additional Entries into Ripon Grammar School Y11 - Offic

Post by brooke68 »

Rats, I had hoped to print this out but it is no longer available via the link.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Not too sure myself Brooke, perhaps ring the school and ask (they are very aporoachable and lovely)? I have a feeling it may be a yearly thing they've started doing.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

If you look on their calendar you will see there was a third form entrance examination held in February 2014 for entrance in September 2014, so they've done it two years on the trot now!
brooke68

Post by brooke68 »

I emailed RGS with the link and asked if they had a copy in the archive. They did send me a copy of a letter from 2012 but sadly not the one you quoted. We are appealing and I thought the wording about being allowed to admit over PAN and the authority being 'comfortable with this' was interesting. You are right, they always seem really helpful when you contact them.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Ah, I expect the passage I quoted was an introductory passage on the website itself and not actually part of the letter.

Have you looked at how many numbers they go over pan by each year? I think it's quoted on RGS's own website somewhere - under admissions maybe, or even on NYCC website. Failing that email the LEO in Harrogate and they will give you the figure (but they only claim to hold them for 3/4 years).

It would equally be interesting to know how these extra places are catered for each year and why, if they can be admitted at third firm, they can't be admitted into first form. (They use the old fashioned terms fir years instead of year 7, 9, etc). What impact do the extra numbers have on the pupils, if any, etc etc.
Snowdrops

Post by Snowdrops »

Currently (25th April 2014) on Ripon Grammar School's website:

Third Form (Year 9) Cohort 2014-2015

Dear Parents

We recently conducted academic testing for boys and girls who were interested in joining Ripon Grammar School’s third form (year 9) in September 2014. Having processed the results of the tests, we can now confirm that there will be a number of new students joining the third form in September 2014.

The motivation behind increasing the size of the third form is to create five smaller classes which will ultimately improve the quality of education that your child receives. As we will be adding a new form to the year group, there will inevitably be some rearrangement of forms; a number of new students will be allocated to each of the five new forms. This process will be managed extremely carefully, taking friendships, along with other factors, into consideration. Our aim is to minimise disruption to current tutor groups.

There is a significant benefit for our current students to receive the very best education in smaller classes, to widen their friendship groups and to become adaptable, resilient and ultimately more employable young people. It will also prepare them well for Key Stage Four, where students are rarely taught together as a form and where they must work collaboratively with other students from the year group, many of whom they will not have worked with.

We are confident that this will be a hugely successful change to the current second form cohort and we look forward to welcoming our new students in September. We will provide more information about the third forms for September 2014 in the summer term; in the meantime, if you have any questions please contact Miss Raymer by telephone on 01765 602647 or by email at lowerschool@ripongrammar.co.uk.

Thank you for your support in this matter.

Yours sincerely

M L Pearman Miss L Raymer

Headmaster Head of Lower School

Attached Letter Document - click here to view
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now