Reading passage or questions first?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
catwoman

Reading passage or questions first?

Post by catwoman »

Hi everyone
Does anyone know if in the real exam our Dc will be allowed to read the questions first then the passage in comprehension or are they allocated actual reading time for the passage.
I imagine that they are allocated 20 mins and then its up to them how they spend it...this is posed to both the Queen Marys and B'ham exams as my Ds prefers to read the questions first and hes a little worried if he's not allowed to do this :(
KenR

Re: Reading passage or questions first?

Post by KenR »

They are allocated reading time - however be careful. Some years ago Durham CEM gave them a passage to read during the first paper and then asked questions about it in the 2nd paper after the break. Lots of tears during the exam from kids who couldn't remember!

The Moral - practice everything you can think of - all varieties
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Yes i heard about that kenR...taking the paper away...it must have been horrible :(

So am i right in saying that in both Queen Marys and B'ham in the past they are given time to read the passage (including underlining etc) they are then told to stop reading and start the questions ? So they can't read the questions first :?:
KenR

Post by KenR »

Not certain - best to check with one of recent parents
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Can anyone enlighten me on this :?: Can our Dc read the questions first on the comprehension :?: or do they have to read the passage first :?: or can they do as they please within the allocated time :?:
Any feedback would be appreciated :)
UmSusu

Post by UmSusu »

They haven't given a separate time to read the text in the last few years - I don't know about earlier. Usually 15 minutes that includes reading time and answering 20-25 questions.

They can do what they like with the time. I usually advise to skim through the text before reading the questions. Going straight to the questions may seem like it would be more effective but without a context the questions would be meaningless. It might work for some though
UmSusu
catwoman

Post by catwoman »

Oh okay Umsusu thanks so 15 mins to read and answer the questions...my Ds likes to read the questions first then read the text and underline the parts he thinks might apply to the questions...do you know if they're told when there are 5 mins remaining?
um

Post by um »

A standard CEM multiple-choice comprehension is very time-limited and there would normally be just enough time to read the passage and answer the questions.
I would not recommend reading the questions first, for this reason and also because I think it could be confusing. After all your child is unlikely to remember all the questions when reading the paper and could then start flicking back and forth and end up in a panic!

SATs papers are quite different though as they tend to allow plenty of time. Some children work well in SATs reading papers by reading the questions first.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

In the SATs paper level 3-5 they have 15 mins to read the booklet and then 45 mins to answer (in level 6 10 mins reading then 50 mins answering). I was under the impression the couldn't open question paper till the end of the reading time?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

All change kitty mum...I haven't got time to find the link, but they no longer (as from thus year) have to read and then do questions separately....hurrah!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now