Areas covered - end Y5

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

heartmum

Areas covered - end Y5

Post by heartmum »

Trying to understand what areas of Maths/English should be covered within the curriculum (Bucks) by end of Y5. Where can I obtain this information? Help please :)
Heartmum x x x
Guest55

Re: Areas covered - end Y5

Post by Guest55 »

http://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov. ... athematics" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

You can find the Year 5 objectives here - obviously some Year 6 ones might be covered but this year group won't be moving on to the new Primary curriculum in September - they stay on the old.
heartmum

Post by heartmum »

Many thanks :) appreciated :D
Heartmum x x x
grtmum

Post by grtmum »

Hi Guys,

Where can I find year 5 SAT papers? What are SPAG tests? Will the Yr 5 take those tests? Please let me know.

Thnx
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

There are no sats papers for year 5 only 2 & 6 although there are optional QCA tests (the schools often use these for assessment , so I would be wary of downloading them for your child) The SPAG papers are taken by year 6 , they are only available for the last 2 years
grtmum

Post by grtmum »

Thanks yoyo123 for the reply, where can I get the optional QCA tests and why did you say "so I would be wary of downloading them for your child"? I have noticed in my DD's school they give them some tests at the end of the year, assess them based on that and in next year they will be placed in different groups accordingly. My dd is in Year 5. He wrote some kind of tests in Year 4 as well. I am not must in to SATS, so asking. Please do reply.

thnx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

If you download them then your child will have possibly done the test already as new ones are not published each year.

Last year was the first GPAS test (sometimes called SPAG).
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

exactly G55! Most schools use the QCA tests to assess the children and set targets for the next year -that is what the QCA tests are designed for- if your child has previous knowledge of teh test , then the level will not be accurate
grtmum

Post by grtmum »

Thanks both of you for the information, I agree with you in saying that prior preparation might not give the right assessment of the child. But as a parent I worry because sometimes teachers overlook the performance of the child and may not put them in the right group. In that case he will will end up in the group where he is not given the challenges as the type of questions vary from group to group. This makes me worried because he is not exposed to hard questions.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Look for the 'What I can do in maths' booklets - they exist for levels 1 to 5.