Level 6 Reading

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
SkyBlue

Level 6 Reading

Post by SkyBlue »

Hi, ds recently told me that he would be doing the level 6 test in reading and he is very determined to get it. Is there any way that I can help him improve on his reading skills because right now i'm just sitting there watching him stressing about it.
kenyancowgirl

Re: Level 6 Reading

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Then for that reason alone, you should withdraw him from it! The SATs are for the school, not your son as he should not be getting stressed over something that is actually not necessary. Even if he does sit it and get it, secondary schools will probably say something like "oh, L6 primary...." as their feeling (rightly) is that not enough breadth will have been covered in primary for a true L6.

Otherwise, just encourage him to read, as normal, and understand what he is reading. I would certainly go and speak to his teacher if he is getting stressed about it, though as that should NOT be the case.
Brum Mum

Post by Brum Mum »

My DS has been put forward for this and I was a bit worried about him getting stressed and suggested to him that I should go and see his teacher and withdraw him from it. He said it was the first time in 'years' that he felt challenged and please don't stop me doing it! :shock:
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

It sounds like they think he should have a chance and don't want to keep him treading water doing stuff he has already mastered.

I would have given my eye teeth to have that for my dd1, and I'm delighted dd2 is getting the opportunity to try. She puts pressure on herself, and would be much more unhappy with a whole year of no progress-been there done that.

This builds resilience that some bright children need to experience.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, kids who are worrying about getting 3 , 4 , or 5 can't withdraw.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Students should want to progress and challenge themselves. I know of Y5 and Y4's having a go at the papers just to see how well they can do. Good for your sons Skyblue and Brum Mum for being determined and wanting to master it. No study tackled is just for the school, once it is in them and they can do it, how is that only for the school? I knew a student last year who was not considered good enough by the school but the school was forced to enter him after he came in the top twenty at DAO and the 270's at QE. He was the only student out of 60 in the year to get Level 6 English beating all the top table G&T students. Their parents of course bleated about overpushed, no childhood, da da da. But he wanted to do it enjoyed doing it and got the result. He is now in the top English set at QE. DG
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

How depressing that they feel trying a level 6 paper is a good idea.

There are sooo many better ways of enriching their diet and this is is least educationally desirable.

All the research shows acceleration does not work in the best interest of children.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:How depressing that they feel trying a level 6 paper is a good idea.

There are sooo many better ways of enriching their diet and this is is least educationally desirable.

All the research shows acceleration does not work in the best interest of children.
+1
I get fed up of seeing this argument framed in terms which are hard to argue with - i.e. 'it is a good thing that children want to challenge themselves [by doing more of the same narrow stuff and covering parts of the secondary school curriculum, but not enough to impress secondary teachers or give them any useful skills they wouldn't have got by the end of Y9 anyway]'. I am almost tired of saying that it is a big world out there and challenging oneself in reading comprehension at the age of ten probably doesn't feature highly on the list of skills worth pursuing when you have a bit of time and energy on your hands. Bring back art, music, drama, geography, languages, history, woodwork, nature study, cookery, citizenship, RE... which have all been squeezed so far from the primary curriculum that there aren't any pips left to come out. :(
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I wrote this today in response to another thread..I am however so proud of my boy's school and him that I will repeat it here:

As for year 6: I can honestly say my ds has learnt more and worked harder in year 6 so far than any other year. The topic work, and science has been phenomenal..I am incredibly proud of his presentation work on the Amazon rain forest. Creative writing has equally been pushed, with some amazing work displayed on the school walls and in their books. This week I am learning all about mars...primarily because he is telling me! The nrich maths is clever and mind expanding. Alongside this he has done hockey, rugby, football and basketball inter school tournaments and county wide school cross country races. They are entering a big music festival in April...all the year, either with instrument or as part of the choir. Art wise they have studied several artists and practiced in the style of, they have also done applique which I have hanging in my kitchen. Come summer term the real fun begins with residential trips, school plays, athletics and very important lessons in respect for themselves and others and coping strategies for big school.
Anyone that suggests year 6 is not essential preparation for secondary school clearly does not want their child to have confidence across all subjects once they begin. My ds1 entered grammar with the ability to do a lot more than pass a 50 minute maths and vocab test!

So ditto for three 45 minute Sat tests of any level.

Plus they,are just on the start of their journey in reading substantial books for pure pleasure, encourage that, read the same books, talk about them.
Our school also asks the children to fill in a book review every 3 weeks and share some with the class. My ds1's grammar also does this...So what better prep can you get!
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Southbucks3 your school sounds great. That breadth of focus is what all primary schools should strive for. Btw we just had OFSTED at my school: did they show any interest in the arts? No. Did they bother to observe my class music lessons? No. Or my choir practice with my lovely KS2 children singing their hearts out, in harmony, in preparation for a big festival? No.