Sutton Coldfield GSG

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

star47

Sutton Coldfield GSG

Post by star47 »

Hi all
My dd is on the waiting list for SCGSG. Her position has fluctuated in the last week but she is currently no 4. I have been advised that the majority of people will have already accepted their places therefore it is unlikely that there will be much more movement.
Your views will be much appreciated.
Is anybody else on the waiting list for Sutton or has anyone been accepted from the waiting list? I would love to hear your story. :D :D :D
IzzyWizzy74

Re: Sutton Coldfield GSG

Post by IzzyWizzy74 »

Hi Star,
We are playing a similar waiting game for Bishop Vesey, ds scored 216 (1 below the cut off) and we live 6 miles away. He was 18th at 1 point and is currently 9th. Vesey advised me that they took 40+ off the waiting list last year, which was a record, and 20+ the year before. Another thread suggests that schools could still be waiting on a number of confirmations (25 for Camp Hill posted on Friday). I don't think the game is over yet, I suspect that there is still plenty of time for movement both up and down waiting lists for all schools as decisions are made and changed. Fingers crossed.
gideon

Sutton Coldfield GSG

Post by gideon »

Don't give up hope. I can tell you BV made an offer after 5th Sept last year as one boy attended the school for just 3 days. A long story, but Lawrence Sheriff School in Rugby caused so many issues for other people as they unlawfully withdrew a place and refused to allow an appeal, leaving him without any place. Because the child took the Birmingham and Walsall 11+ as free mocks, he moved straight to the top of Birmigham and Walsall waiting lists, moving other children down one place.

Queen Mary's offered him a place (35 miles away), which he was forced to block for weeks (telling the Head he had no choice but to accept, even though he could not take the place long term) and then he blocked BV, knowing he had no intention of taking the place long term (releasing Queen Marys). Eventually he was offered K.E.S. releasing the place at BV, immediately.

Places are offered after school starts. In Warks, Lawrence Sheriff and K.E.S. both offered a place on 5th Sept, last year. Birmingham schools also offered places such as BV. Hang in there!
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

There are so many weeks left before September and it is unlikely that the waiting list has come to a halt. Even when the new term begins there may be some DC/DP who feel that the journey (- travelling from a distance to get to SCGSG) may well be too long and may decide to give up their place.

It would be interesting to know who gave you the advise that the waiting list movement has probably come to an end now ? the LEA ? They may well be generalising. There are still a few DC who have not accepted their place yet and may be worthwhile to find out with the school directly how many have yet to accept their place to get a better idea if there is some movement to be had yet. You could also find out from SCGSG how many places off the waiting list were offered last year and the year before that to give you some idea.

Hope this helps.

Thanks Elbart
star47

Post by star47 »

To all who have responded :D :D

Thank you so much for your encouraging words.
I contacted the Birmingham LEA on Friday and was told quite clearly that Sutton was a popular school and that quite a few dc had been allocated places from the waiting list already (at one point we were no 14). She stated that she didnt think there would be much more movement as the majority had accepted their places already. I asked what our chances were and she said 'Contact us in a weeks time' but remember you can go down as well as up.
I will contact Sutton tomorrow re numbers taken from the waiting list in previous years. :D
Hopefully :D we will have some good news soon.
IzzyWizzy74

Post by IzzyWizzy74 »

I guess the other consideration is that a number of parents will have accepted places as 2nd choice (as we have) whilst on waiting lists for other schools so that movement from waiting lists for other schools will take time to have a domino effect (as places will need to be offered and accepted and 2nd choice places released). Also, who knows how many have accepted places as insurance whilst planning to go the independent route. I was told the same as Star by Birmingham LEA but was given more useful information by the school themselves who even clarified that they don't expect to be taking as many off the waiting list as last year as they have made more '1st choice' offers.
Good luck to all who are waiting.
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

The school cannot say they have made more first choice offers as they don't know the preferences of candidates.

My DS is at KEFW having been offered off the waiting list in the last week of April last year, and I know of another poster who received an offer from KEA well into May. So don't give up hope, places will become available well into the summer holidays and beyond.
IzzyWizzy74

Post by IzzyWizzy74 »

That's really interesting Happy Dad,
They told me with utmost confidence that they had made far more 1st choice offers this year than last........
Now you mention that the school don't know the preference order it does ring bells. It certainly makes me wonder.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

It is entirely possible that the LEA have reported to the school that they have made n first choice offers. A raw number like that could feasibly be passed to the school without them knowing which individuals opted for the school first or not. And first choice offers are more likely to translate to solid acceptances so I could imagine the LEA giving the school that kind of anonymous data.
FairyDust13

Post by FairyDust13 »

Star47, do not lose hope the waiting list will continue to see movement over the coming months. A friend's DS was offered BV two weeks before term started a couple of years ago. We also know of one girl who has joined SGSG off the waiting list this term in the current year 7. As IzzyWizzy has stated there will be many people who have accepted SCGSC and other schools as second choice (albeit it appears from some posts fewer this year for SCGSC), this means you will see movement on the waiting list for a few months yet.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now