does birkenhead school offer sibling discounts?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Wirral

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
rebsto

does birkenhead school offer sibling discounts?

Post by rebsto »

does anyone know if sibling discounts are on offer at the birkenhead school?
thanks
guest44

Re: does birkenhead school offer sibling discounts?

Post by guest44 »

Yes it does.Subject to negotiation. Best thing to do is contact the School.
rebsto

Post by rebsto »

thanks, any ideas how much? i have tried emailing them this week but with it being the holidays not sure when i will get a reply!
guest44

Post by guest44 »

I have heard of 25% reduction. There isn't a fixed scale to my knowledge
rebsto

Post by rebsto »

the school never replies to my question of sibling discounts or how much fee reduction is offered for academic scholarships or even the approximate levels my child would need to be at to aim for such a scholarship at age 11, anyone help? there must be someone with more than 1 child here, i have 3 who we would like to attend!! many thanks
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I suggest you contact the school and ask to arrange a meeting with the bursar where you discuss your individual requirements and concerns. Schools have a certain amount of discretion and the bursar would need to reassure him/herself that you understand the actual cost (for e.g. if you would actually need a bursary for the first child, that could potentially be three lots of children pulling from the bursary pot) and that is not a conversation they are going to have via email with someone they haven't met!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

All the school needs to reply, then, is that they would prefer to discuss the subject face-to-face, so would s/he please get back to them to arrange an appointment? Don't they have to make information re the amount of reduction offered as a scholarship accessible to the public via the Charities Commission?

Just out of idle curiosity, I clicked on the 'click here for info about fees' link on the school's website - and the next screen was a 'threat management gateway' login page :shock:. I don't know whether this is what everyone gets, something to do with my laptop, or does the school's site use geolocation software to decide whether to allow access (this person is in Essex, they can't possibly be thinking of moving to our area so deny them access to the fees section)?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
rebsto

Post by rebsto »

I got the same messgae Toadmum as well so not sure what its about? I thought the fee info would be public but they answer other questions and just ignore that one, I have spoken to a lot of other schools who have instantly answered the sibling reduction question, strange indeed???thanks for reply!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Okay, here are the fees - from the ISC website:

http://www.isc.co.uk/schools/england/me ... ead-school" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - about the same as our local independents, I think, nothing for the school to need to keep locked away on their own website, I would have thought.

Re scholarships and bursaries, it just says "available"...

I also discovered (courtesy of Wikipedia) that the husband of an old friend of mine from university is an old boy of the school, but that doesn't help you much, I'm afraid :( .

(It did remind me just how long it was since I last saw Sally, though :shock: ).

(And yes, I do have ironing I really should be getting on with instead...).
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

My point was this - the website will say whatever the "agreed" sibling discount is, or the scholarship level (or, in the case of this school, not a lot!!) My sister has three dc in the same indie - the sibling discount, on paper, is pretty pathetic and doesn't really amount to a huge discount. They made an appointment to see the bursar before the first child went in, and were able to negotiate a block discount (more than the sibling discount) on the basis that there was 3 of them, and a further significant discount for paying the years fees in advance each year. These discounts are offered to other people as well, but they are not advertised - the bursar was keen to encourage them because they have 3 children (and it helps that two out of the three are county level sportsmen so the Head was keen to have them and offered sports scholarships too). This is not the sort of thing that would have been offered in an initial email!!