SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE

Eleven Plus (11+) in Devon

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
candyfloss

SHARE YOUR THOUGHTS PLEASE

Post by candyfloss »

:) Hi all
I have just registered but have been taking advice from this brilliant forum for about a year now.

Well, now it will soon be my dd,s turn to take the 11+ here in Plymouth .We completed the next step form and applied online during half term week,
dd has chosen Deveonport high as her first choice, phoned lea to ask for advice about second and third choices and was told (well,not much really!) that "of course there will be many more children taking the 11+ this year".this is because of the new equal preference system.

Any thoughts please?
Surwidow

Post by Surwidow »

Hi Candyfloss,

What is the new 'equal preference scheme'?
geogwoman

Post by geogwoman »

The new equla preference system means that you will not loose your place at your designated comprehensive as if you put them second choice they have to treat your applicationas if you had put it first choice. In other words there is now no risk if your child takes the 11+ and fails. This will obviously encourage more people to apply to the grammar schools as previously those who were in the catchment of good comprehensives were often reluctant to apply to the grammar schools in case their child failed. Does that make sense????
Surfwidow

Post by Surfwidow »

That makes good sense. It's just a pity that I have now moved away from Devon because it was always one of my dilemma's ie. not getting a good comp if child failed the 11+!

Thanks for explanation.
Mad Mum

Post by Mad Mum »

Hi, having been through the whole shabang this year I for one, am really pleased they have bought in the equal preference system as it just didn't seem fair that if you wanted to try for a place at Grammar school, you were penalised if they didn't pass the 11+. There have always been so many rumours about what school would take 2nd preferences etc. etc. that in the end I just put the schools I would be happy for her to go to and crossed my fingers.

I think if you are confident in your daughters ability you should focus your efforts on her and try not to worry too much about the other entrants. I was confident about my daughters ability but sometimes not in her attitude which can tend towards the lazybones/can't be bothered side. As it was, she passed with a good result after having only just passed the DHSB mock in October last year. As i think I've mentioned on a post before, the key seems to be in making sure your daughter doesn't 'burn out' in her preparations way before the exam.

Im keeping an eye on the forum as I have another daughter in Year 4 who'll be taking the 11+ in 2 years.

Good luck for you and your daughter, stay focussed and this forum is really useful!
Surfwidow

Post by Surfwidow »

Well said.
candyfloss

share your thoughts please

Post by candyfloss »

hi mad mum,
thanks for your reply.
i have read yours and other posts previously and been reassured by them.
regarding equal preference,this of course is good if you also live in the catchment area of a good comprehensive you are in a win win situation,however what if you don,t ???
competition for that grammar school place is now going to be greater.
dd took the mock at dhsb this year and she too did not score too much higher than the pass mark. she is determined to go to dhsg though and i,m sure will do her best in january.
she goes to a tutor for one hour a week and we do a vr and maths paper per weekend alternating them.
have you any advice about silly mistakes?
she usually makes four or five and then tells you the right answer straight away!!!! :roll:

Post by Guest »

Hi Candyfloss,

Yes I suppose there are always going to be some winners and losers in the equation - we too do not live near any of the good comps. so it would have meant a bus ride/car journey if she had gone there. It seems things relating to the 11+ change every year, last year was the first year they had included a maths paper (however this may have disuaded some from trying it but I have no proof of that apart from a personal acquaintance.

With regards to silly mistakes I have just asked dd and she can't remember(!) and from memory (mine!) it was mostly a case of slowing down slightly and reading the question thoroughly. At times I was at my wits end wondering how on earth she would be able to pass this exam because she was making the most obvious mistakes. We actually moved her from a primary school we felt was failing her in her last year and she actually didn't know her times tables to 12!!!! So you can imagine how much catching up she needed to do. Luckily she responded really well to the stronger work ethic in the new primary and I do attribute a large part of her success in the 11+ to them.

DD was having an hour a week with tutor and I was giving her various papers inbetween times. I mostly pulled off all the free tests from the internet (of which I have a huge lever arch folder) and she did one before school or in the morning.

Which reminds me, she performed so much better in the mornings and you might have already have noticed that your daughter is making those silly mistakes when she's a bit tired.

Hope that helps and sorry to dribble on ...!
Mad Mum

Post by Mad Mum »

Hi Sorry that last post was from me! Forgot to sign in!
candyfloss

share your thoughts please

Post by candyfloss »

hi again mad mum,
don,t be sorry, all advice/experience is welcome.
i see there was a thread started yesterday on 11plus exams about silly mistakes, seems to be very common :lol:
have told dd to try and slow down a little rather than rushing the first few questions and will see how she does this weekend.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now