KEGS - Parental Contributions?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Nikkibeak

KEGS - Parental Contributions?

Post by Nikkibeak »

I went to a KEGS Open Afternoon last week. While we were being a guided tour by 2 of the year 8 boys, another parent asked them if they knew if parents were expected to contribute financially towards the school. The boys didn't know so I never found out the answer. I've not come across this before only the odd £5 or so at the beginning of term towards books when I was at Secondary School. The other parent seemed to think it was a sizeable. Can anyone with a DS at KEGS shed any light?
KM

Re: KEGS - Parental Contributions?

Post by KM »

It is about £65 a year and they take it in one payment in October. It is just a suggested amount, I believe and you don't have to pay it.
moved

Post by moved »

Noncompulsory donation to school fund. Absolutely no obligation, unlike some state primaries! Don't worry.
KB

Post by KB »

This is quite common at secondary school and in fact £65 pa is not particularly high in comparison to some others.
If you don't want to / cant afford to pay it there should be no sort of pressure to do so and certainly the staff who come into contact with your DS should not be aware of who has paid or not.
Nikkibeak

Post by Nikkibeak »

Thanks everyone that's put my mind at rest. I had visions of it been a few hundred per term or something especially after they were saying they have a fund to help the less well off kids to be able to go on trips abroad
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

they have a fund to help the less well off kids to be able to go on trips abroad
That is not necessary now: pupil premium funding can be used to cover such things.
mclm

Post by mclm »

Guest55 wrote:
they have a fund to help the less well off kids to be able to go on trips abroad
That is not necessary now: pupil premium funding can be used to cover such things.
That is largely true, however pupil premium is only for children on free school meals at some point in the last 6 years. There are very few in the Grammar schools that are on this compared to the national average, however there are still families that struggle as may be on working tax or other credits that make them ineligible for free school meals / pupil premium.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now