Pates Open Morning 25th March

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Leafymum

Pates Open Morning 25th March

Post by Leafymum »

I'm not able to attend this event so would be really grateful if people could share any nuggets of information about the CEM that could be gleaned from the headmaster's presentation. Information about format or content would, of course, be great but, to be honest, anything that adds to the information in the FAQ's would be useful......
DC17C

Re: Pates Open Morning 25th March

Post by DC17C »

Crypt have also got an open day today with presentations at various times this morning, afternoon and evening. They have had to bring everything forward with the test being so much earlier in September.
Leafymum

Post by Leafymum »

Great - more opportunities to find things out! I'm DIYing with DS as I did with his older brother and I find myself constantly on the lookout for any new information that's out there (bordering on the obsessive!). It would be great to hear from anyone who attended any of the recent open mornings and managed to glean any new CEM info.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Weird that they've both picked the same day!! Will report back if anything interesting although I just don't think any further information is put out about the exam that we don't already know. The format seems to change so frequently that nothing more is revealed.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I think the Pates open morning was originally going to be tomorrow but the NUT strike has messed things up.
MedievalBabe

Post by MedievalBabe »

Pates have 2 other open mornings on the 24th April and 24th June, but you have to book online it's not a drop in event. They had 2 different timings for today's event to allow as many threw the doors as possible.

DH went this morning with DD, apparently she was quite taken with it but the head teacher gave out no new information other than what is already out there.He did say that the format of the exam will be published on the 9th July.
Scope

Post by Scope »

We went to todays Pate open morning and after being guided around the school by 2 year 7 pupils we had a presentation by the headmaster.. He did not really talk about the exam, only mentioned that it had been changed to CEM to stop all the tutoring and emphasized that the new test would show the pupils ability better than the previous test would, and that although tutoring helps (as will any prep work the kids do), the main reason for the change was to give pupils who couldn't afford tutoring, etc, a better chance of gaining a place.
Sunshine 11

Post by Sunshine 11 »

MedievalBabe wrote:DH went this morning with DD, apparently she was quite taken with it but the head teacher gave out no new information other than what is already out there.He did say that the format of the exam will be published on the 9th July.
Really ?!? I wasn't expecting any more guidance to be published, hmm, that will be interesting !
Sunshine 11
Que sera, sera
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Sunshine 11 wrote:
MedievalBabe wrote:DH went this morning with DD, apparently she was quite taken with it but the head teacher gave out no new information other than what is already out there.He did say that the format of the exam will be published on the 9th July.
Really ?!? I wasn't expecting any more guidance to be published, hmm, that will be interesting !
Nor was I!

We went to Crypt today and the head didn't say anything different to the Pates head, so nothing to report there. The school was really nice and I was very impressed with how polite and friendly all the boys were and I got the impression that it wasn't just a "beauty parade" for the parents. The head spoke well but was so quiet that most of us couldn't hear him over the regular noise of kids you get in the corridor of any school. What I heard though I was very impressed with and he came across very well. The Deputy also was interesting. The teachers were all pretty approachable when we went into each classroom (must be a nightmare for them!). My only criticism with schools is that they let Year 7 and 8s show parents around. Attracting the next year of pupils is such an important function for any school, and I don't think it's a good idea to leave it to youngsters. Our two, bless them, had impeccable manners and their enthusiasm was infectious and they did their absolute best, but we didn't get to see very much. I would love to have seen the sports and drama facilities and the canteen but we ran out of time through popping into various "normal" lessons, which was a shame (not sure why kids aren't issued with a "route" and timings when they show parents around just to make sure they get parents to see most things). Pretty impressed with the school overall.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

[/quote]
We went to Crypt today and the head didn't say anything different to the Pates head, so nothing to report there. The school was really nice and I was very impressed with how polite and friendly all the boys were and I got the impression that it wasn't just a "beauty parade" for the parents. The head spoke well but was so quiet that most of us couldn't hear him over the regular noise of kids you get in the corridor of any school. What I heard though I was very impressed with and he came across very well. The Deputy also was interesting. The teachers were all pretty approachable when we went into each classroom (must be a nightmare for them!). My only criticism with schools is that they let Year 7 and 8s show parents around. Attracting the next year of pupils is such an important function for any school, and I don't think it's a good idea to leave it to youngsters. Our two, bless them, had impeccable manners and their enthusiasm was infectious and they did their absolute best, but we didn't get to see very much. I would love to have seen the sports and drama facilities and the canteen but we ran out of time through popping into various "normal" lessons, which was a shame (not sure why kids aren't issued with a "route" and timings when they show parents around just to make sure they get parents to see most things). Pretty impressed with the school overall.[/quote]

I was there giving out teas and coffees this morning. 8) I can only say that DS has settled in really well at Crypt and seems to be coping very well with the level of work. Any time I have had to get in touch with staff they have been very approachable and willing to talk problems over. It also works well for us as we are on the number 10 bus route - think the logistics from some other areas are a bit more challenging. I guess they may have another open day/evening before the summer holidays given the timing of registration and the test.
Last edited by DC17C on Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now