Broken Arm

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest57

Broken Arm

Post by Guest57 »

Hi

Am really worried, my son broke his arm at the weekend and is due to sit the Bexley tests within the next few weeks, unfortunately it is his right arm! Am worried this will affect his ability to complete the tests, a scriber has been mentioned but will extra time be allowed for this?

Teri
exams

Post by exams »

Dear Guest57, I am so sorry to hear about your son's broken arm. If you inform the Bexley LA, they should make arrangements for him to sit exams later.
Bexley Mum 2

Broken Arm

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Oh dear. I've been tempted to ban my son from sport in the run up to the tests, as he is the only one of my 3 children who, so far, hasn't broken an arm! As the Bexley tests are multiple choice, would he be able to make his marks with his left hand? If it was me, I'd rather get them over with than prolong the agony. But it would seem reasonable that he be allowed a little extra time. If he isn't, and it came to an appeal - and fingers crossed it won't - you might be able to argue that he should have had more time given his handicap.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Hi,

I work within the school examinations system.

With the KS3 Sats and GCSEs the schools provide a scribe. Extra time is also necessary as the child will have to indicate/dictate the answer and wait for the scribe to fill in the box accurately. This also means that the child must be seated out of earshot of other children.

If these 'extras' are given to other exams then surely they must be given to 11+ entrants.

Hope this helps.
Guest57

Broken arm

Post by Guest57 »

Just to update you!
My son has yet to take the test.
We were given two options:
1st - do the best he can, no extra allowances
2nd - do it at a later stage

opted for the second as although he is okay he cannot write with his left hand at all or his right! And as they do not make any extra allowances thought it best to delay it for him.

We are hoping to take them before christmas!
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Nice to hear your son is doing well. Hope he does well when he finally gets to take his 11+.

I can't believe that they would expect him to take it with a broken arm. I wonder if you would get the same response if it was time to take the SATS. Somehow I don't think so! Hmmm!!!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now