Data on the need for a grammar annex in 7 Oaks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
mystery

Data on the need for a grammar annex in 7 Oaks

Post by mystery »

The campaign website has an article now which includes this:

For the first time the shortfall in grammar school places for Sevenoaks students has exceeded 120, highlighting the urgent need for a new grammar school annexe in the town.

Figures released this month show that over 510 boys were eligible for the 420* boys’ places available in West Kent grammar schools for 2014 entry, creating a shortfall of over 90 places for West Kent boys. However, for this year only, 60 of this shortfall has been filled by the addition of two temporary forms by the Judd and Skinners schools. Nevertheless, more than 30 West Kent boys who passed the 11 plus test, mainly from Sevenoaks and villages to the north and west, remain without 2014 West Kent grammar school places.

The figures also show that over 500 girls were eligible for the 465** girls’ places available in West Kent grammar schools for 2014 entry, creating a shortfall of over 35 places for West Kent girls. However, for this year only, this shortfall has been filled by the addition of a temporary form by Tonbridge Grammar School.

The underlying position, once the temporary forms are stripped out, therefore remains clear – an ongoing annual shortfall of 120 West Kent grammar school places, with this shortfall increasing over time as the population grows.

I still am not sure what all this means. Is comparing the number of qualifying children to the number of places the way to do it? And how do you do this for West Kent only? And is it right to assume that the temporary forms are temporary? And will doubling the size of Weald and going co-ed sort the problem the best way for both girls and boys long term? What is happening with the planning permission?
kenyancowgirl

Re: Data on the need for a grammar annex in 7 Oaks

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I really do not get this. Instead of spending goodness knows how much on surveys and proposals for this that and the other, or building a new school, or not building a new school, in an area with such vast numbers of gs, compared with other areas, why don't they simply raise the pass mark? That would still ensure that the top scoring kids got places. Problem solved.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Yes, I have always wondered that too. I think it is because everyone in Sevenoaks gets very high marks so there will always be a problem in Sevenoaks no matter how high the pass mark is. :wink:
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

These figures are just from the initial offer day too ? So misleading and scaremongering in my (humble) opinion.

There is always a significant shift in figures along the wait list once public school places are filled or a decision is made to stay at prep till 13 etc.etc. There is nothing to say that temporary classes are temporary (just reviewed year on year) nor that schools (i see that Invicta are) wont increase class sizes to assist.

One obviously expects the "Sevenoaks Grammar' site to be biased but i believe that their heavy handed approach to "we must have a grammar in Sevenoaks whatever the cost or implications to others and/or other schools" has alienated alot of people who would have otherwise supported them.

Shame there is no one ho can give a truthful,unbiased,indepndent and statistically factual case on this - everyone seems to have their own agenda.
kent mum
mystery

Post by mystery »

I don't think they are data from offer day even. It's a comparison of old PANs in West Kent with the number of children who qualified for a West Kent place (how you work that one out I don't know) - so some kind of apportionment of children who passed the Kent test versus some kind of calculation of grammar places available in West Kent.
JJ123

Post by JJ123 »

:oops: Oh i see, thought it related to this years offer day. Even foggier than i thought.

Nothing from WOK yet following consultation, will post on here when we hear more.
kent mum
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now