How do we use the Vocab books

11 Plus English - Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Optimist

How do we use the Vocab books

Post by Optimist »

Hi Does anyone know how to get their dc to use the AE vocab book. Often the sentences have 2 or 3 unusual words. Do parents help their doc or leave it them to alone
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away!
VH73

Re: How do we use the AE Vocab books

Post by VH73 »

I normally don't help, he's got a dictionary if not sure. We mark it together and then he can tell me he didn't know something and we do it together, I explain if I have to.
Before that he called me every time he didn't know, I told him to stop it and jump to the next one. When finished I'll go and help.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

What number book are you on? The idea is they are sometimes simple words, but tricky words in the descriptions or clues for the x words. (If we are on about the same books) I used these mostly for ds1 and he worked on his own, but I had to find him the right level book, which is not very clear from the speel on the cover, the one I started with was far too hard. :oops:
VH73

Post by VH73 »

I started on 5, since we haven't got too much time, he's just finished it. It started fairly easy, but he found it harder by the end.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Exactly right....I think we did 5,6,7, 8....not just for 11+ but throughout year 6 too, but bought much higher, which have gathered dust! He tended to choose his favourites rather than do all the book, which was fine, as it was really just for a boost.
mystery

Post by mystery »

What are these books? Are they good? Do they provide the kind of repetition that is needed with new words for them to "stick"? Are the written in a way which enables children to infer the meaning of new words or do they have to constantly refer to a dictionary? I find dictionary work maddening with my daughter because:

a) she takes ages to look something up alphabetically

b) the word she wants is not necessarily in the dictionary unless she uses a good size adult dictionary

c) quite often the definition is not clear to her - particularly if it is in an "adult" dictionary

So I gave up a long while back. Are these books the answer to my prayer? Can I expand her vocabulary by a few thousand words between now and September?!!
modernista

Post by modernista »

These vocab books use each word in two contexts so thats something. They may also help reinforce meanings of some words that the child may be familiar with but not 100% sure of. On their own they cant work miracles but as an additional aid to the slower more effective ways, they are as good as it gets.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

I've not heard of these but may try them for dd (year 4) as thinking of maybe starting to do a little gentle 11+ prep over the summer term. Those of you who've used them would you think book 5 would be a reasonable place to start?
VH73

Post by VH73 »

I started using them because after a few tests (CGP) I noticed my DS's vocab. still needs a bit of work. Somebody recommended them here and I found them really useful. I had a look at them at the bookshop and decided 1, 2, 3, 4 would be too easy.
He doesn't like dictionary either, just if really necessary, but with these ones he can work it out from the crossword.
maa

Post by maa »

Which CGP tests do you use? Can you let me know please? Thnaks in advance.