Acceptance of school place

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
IncyWincy

Acceptance of school place

Post by IncyWincy »

Just got a letter from Bucks CC to say that we hadn't accepted the school place offered. We accepted to our own local authority as instructed well before the deadline.
I'm sure this is no big deal and have now responded direct to Bucks but I was wondering if this is often the case if you live out of area?
ToadMum

Re: Acceptance of school place

Post by ToadMum »

Have applied to out of area schools for all three of ours at the time but have never been in the position of having to accept (or decline) an out of area place. However, my understanding of the coordinated system is that it should be just that - you submit your preferences and your LA does the work for you, so to speak. Your LA should have passed your decision on to Bucks for you. I would assume that similarly, Bucks should have contacted your LA regarding your apparent lack of response. From the Essex forum this year, though, there are instances of an LA not looking at the response Southend was making to an out of area applicant and another LA not passing an applicant's Essex requests on to Essex in the first place, so you are probably lucky that Bucks did get in touch with you.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
IncyWincy

Post by IncyWincy »

Thanks ToadMum, I thought the same and expected our LA to pass on the acceptance.
This is one of those things where everyone is so careful about doing the right thing, checking over all the paperwork meticulously to make sure everything is done correctly so it was a bit of a panic moment to open a letter like that!
Kiwimum

Post by Kiwimum »

The exact same thing happened to us a couple of years ago.
We accepted a place through our LA as soon as we received the offer.
On 6th March we received a letter from the Bucks school saying 'I enclose an enrolment form which serves as confirmation that you wish to accept this place' - which we completed and returned straight away.
We received a letter back from the school saying 'Thank you for returning the enrolment form confirming that you wish to accept a place'.
Then we got a letter from Bucks County Council dated 22 March saying we hadn't accepted the place - a communication break down somewhere obviously but enough to send us in a panic!
Whether our LA hadn't passed on the acceptance or it went missing at BCC's end I don't know but at least the school seemed to know what was going on.
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Our own LA which handled the application stated that we only needed to reply if not accepting the place, but knowing what they're like I wasn't taking any chances and e-mailed an acceptance to Bucks Admissions anyway. :mrgreen:
Marylou
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

I'm afraid I can't answer your question but I'd give your LA a ring just to check (and maybe Bucks admissions too :D ). Not sure which school you've got a place at but a number of them have already sent out paperwork.
logic32

Post by logic32 »

We had the same letter this morning. Like you I sent an email to Bucks CC explaining we had already accepted the place through Herts CC and had already received a letter from the school confirming our acceptance. We received an Auto reply email saying thank you for accepting the school place. Obviously some mix up of systems this year as I didn't have a problem 3 years ago.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now