Receiving results in post

Eleven Plus (11+) in Medway

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

medwaymum

Receiving results in post

Post by medwaymum »

What does everybody think about when the all important results arrive?

Will you let your child open letter and read themselves? Will you encourage them to phone their friends and 'get it over with' before turning up for school on Monday?

Obviously I am thinking of the negative outcome, if it's positive however will you do the same - phone around or disappear under the radar until all dies down?
chatham grammar hopeful

Post by chatham grammar hopeful »

I will give him the choice of whether he wants to open it or if he wants me to do it for him. He sees his friends at football over the weekend so I am sure they will all discuss results there before school on Monday.

I shall encourage him if he has a positive result to be tactful because some of them wont have passed, and if he has negative try and show him it isnt the end of the world and get across that he hasnt failed, because of all the work he did and attempting it - he just wouldnt have got the mark required for grammar school.
Anne42

Anne42

Post by Anne42 »

With my other daughter who just missed passing 4 years ago , the post came just before she went to school . She was dissapointed , but soon realised, at school that alot of the other older children didn't pass either .
That is my main concern at the moment , i know my daughter is capable of doing as well as the others , but as she is also an older one she is at a disadvantage.
As to opening the letter , i think we will wait & see what she wants to do .

Post by Guest »

I sometimes wonder who the parents are when the should we shouldn't we rubbish appears. As a parent you should open the letter and then tell your child the outcome, allowing for the gentle wording should the outcome not be the one hoped for... <sighs>
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

That's rather harsh Guest. Maybe we are 'should we shouldn't we' because we care so much and just want to the best thing. That's why this forum is so good because you can bounce ideas off each other without fear of reprisal (usually). For some parents who have never been through this before it is a bit of a minefield, sometimes experienced parents can help by offering their experience.

If they are old enough to go through all this why shouldn't they be allowed to open the letter if they want to? :?:
Anne42

Anne42

Post by Anne42 »

Guest , your supposed to be chilled out now , its only conversation you dont have to join in .
reddebs

Post by reddebs »

Hi All
I am of the opinion that my daughter will open her results - she is after all the one who has worked hard for this. Of course being that much taller than her and standing on my soap box I will be able to look over her shoulder and scan it first to give her my support/cheers whatever the outcome.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now