Bus from Longlevens to crypt - still issues?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11plus2

Bus from Longlevens to crypt - still issues?

Post by 11plus2 »

Having read back through this newsgroup, there have been several previous negative comments about the operator that runs the crypt buses from Cheltenham and Longlevens.

Can anyone provide any recent feedback about the Longlevens bus to crypt?

Reliability and safety are main concerns - does this bus have seatbelts?

Thanks in advance.
DC17C

Re: Bus from Longlevens to crypt - still issues?

Post by DC17C »

Do they not just get a public bus from Longlevens? cheaper I would think and more flexible service.
11plus2

Post by 11plus2 »

No I think there is a bus from a company named Xpress travel?

Public bus would have to be 94 into Gloucester and the. Number 10 to crypt I think - that would be too much for our DS.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I don't want to alarm you here but the provision of seatbelts on a bus does not imply that a coach full of teenage school kids will actually wear them. And of course on a public bus they won't be wearing them either.
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

I'm afraid that my displeasure with this company is well documented here. I am counting the days until my DD can be rid of Express Travel. They are the most unprofessional and unsafety-conscious company I've had the misfortune to deal with. As an aside, and not Express' fault, my dd I believe is the only one who wears a belt. They run a "K" reg (yes, you read that right) bus - enough said. I think they've become complacent as they have been the only choice for Cheltenham kids to have direct transport, but this will change in September when Bennetts start their rival service. Long and short is I wouldn't pay them in shirt buttons.
cazien

Post by cazien »

We have used Xpress travel now for nearly two years. They have trouble at the start of the year - first few weeks in September - because unfortunately parents have become complacent. They ask for the forms to be returned so that they can plan how many DC's are getting on at which bus stop. Parents send their DC's to the bus stop with forms in hand and wanting to get on the bus - this causes chaos for them. DC's also get on at different bus stops (because parents drop them off at mates houses) - again causing hassle for them. We have never had problems with them after the initial "teething problems" at the start of every school year.

They have recently bought new busses and are expanding their service (airport runs, hen/stag nights, dog racing, etc). All their buses have seatbelts - but it is up to the child to wear them. Crypt have sent a few letters home about DS's not wearing seatbelts and misbehaving on the busses - these will probably get thrown off a public bus :roll: .

They have also put on minibuses which have dropped DS's off nearly outside our house, instead of the bus stop, and given out icecreams on hot summer days so my DS's are very happy :lol:

We have looked into alternative transport (Bennetts, Marchants and Stagecoach) but they are cheapest for us in Longlevens. Looking at the bus drivers from Bennetts who drive for Denmark/Tommies I would definitely want my child to wear a seat belt - they drive erratically and have no respect for other road users at all :shock:
Stressed?Moi?

Post by Stressed?Moi? »

Absolutely agree about kids getting on at different stops - a real pain for the drivers and I do have sympathy. The agreed introduction of bus passes was however supposed to sort this out. However, because a parent complained that their child had been refused entry, they abandoned the bus pass idea. This has therefore not allowed any control of who gets on/off and where. If they had stuck to their guns and implemented it, then children wouldn't sometimes have to share 3 to a seat.

Behaviour has been an issue for them, as backed up by my dd, who is fed up with it as well. Express did send a text to parents saying as much and I really have sympathy with the drivers for this as well. Again, it's up to parents to speak to dd's about this. I would support a warning system of removal/refusal, especially if it is distracting the driver, but I doubt they wouldn't implement it.

My dd and friends regularly come home saying that the drivers are "running red lights" cannot make their minds up which lane they want to be in, swear and shout.

They also drop off on the opposite side of the road from Ribston, which means that they have to cross a very busy road. Sometimes a driver gets off and holds up the traffic to let them across. I can't for the life of me work out why they don't alter the route so that they deliver them safely to the right side of the road. My friend's dd fell and bloodied her knee as she tried to cross the road but didn't see a car trying to overtake the bus. Makes no sense. The driver saw it happen but turned away.

There are other more personal experiences which I wouldn't want to put on an open forum, but nonetheless have happened. From Cheltenham, Bennetts will be a fair bit cheaper as well; can't speak for Longlevens.

Not sure either why they are not members of the BUSK scheme whereas Bennetts are; this in itself to me is a warning.

It's personal preference I guess, and I'm really pleased it is working out for you, but we shan't be hanging around with them, that's for sure.
Paul5978

Post by Paul5978 »

I personally was very tempted to contact Marchants to see if they were providing a coach service to crypt from my area as Bennetts seemed to be a little vague on if, where and when there route with commence, don't want my son to travel on an "Rattle Trap" from Express travel but I have heard from a friend that one of the Red Double Decker Marchants use strike a bridge in Woodmancote causing considerable damage to the vehicle as the bus was too tall and it was full of young children including their daughter who was very distressed about the occurance
Surprised this hasn't been brought to everyone's attention via the news like the poor episode that happened to Swanbrooks.
Seems a bit fishy to me, a little underhanded and not a company that I feel I can trust
Think one may approach a this matter from another angle
titch

Post by titch »

I called Marchants a few weeks back to enquire if they had any buses going to Crypt they said no and did not give the impression their were considering taking any routes on.

As for erratic driving by bus drivers I think this something you get with all companies and its just one or two drives letting the whole company down.

We are still considering are transport options to Crypt from Cheltenham and have not given any company a firm yes. I do wonder how many people have signed up to Express Travel or Bennetts and if both will run what appears to be the same service from September!
cazien

Post by cazien »

Bennetts have posted a provisional bus route on their website under the "school bus service".

http://www.bennettscoaches.co.uk/docume ... 014-15.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They are not providing a service for Longlevens - but you can catch their Tewkesbury bus at the Queens Head, Longford or at Gambier Parry Gardens, at a cost of £1200.00 looking at their price chart :shock: Express Travel is £500.00 from this area :D
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now