Oversubscription Appeal for Langley Grammar

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
nervymum1

Oversubscription Appeal for Langley Grammar

Post by nervymum1 »

Hello there!!

Firstly like to thank this forum for all of the information and help!!
I've been reading this forum for the past year when our DS started to prepare for the 11+.

Our DS has scored 113, we would like to appeal with Langley grammar school, initial cut off is 118.

I'd like to know the following:

- Do you think its wise to go for an appeal with them as they are oversubscribed most of the times?
If yes, we are planning to attach headteacher's letter , sample work in year 6.( would it be sufficient?? )
We are also attaching a report from GP as DS was not keeping well the day before the exam which affected his performance ( would this help? )

- Would it be good to ask for re-check at the appeal?
- Does anyone know of how many appeals Langley handle each year? and how many of them have been successful?

Your advice would be really helpful and beneficial at this crucial stage
Thank you so much for your time!

Nervymum1.
Etienne

Re: Oversubscription Appeal for Langley Grammar

Post by Etienne »

Welcome! :)
- Do you think its wise to go for an appeal with them as they are oversubscribed most of the times?
Most grammar schools are oversubscribed, but it doesn't stop most parents appealing!

('Wisdom' is going into an appeal with high hopes but minimal expectations! :? )
If yes, we are planning to attach headteacher's letter , sample work in year 6.( would it be sufficient?? )
You haven't read the Q&As?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
We are also attaching a report from GP as DS was not keeping well the day before the exam which affected his performance ( would this help? )
I'm afraid if you decided he was well enough to attend on the day, then the view is likely to be that he was well enough to take the test.
Again, this is covered in the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
- Would it be good to ask for re-check at the appeal?
It would be remarkable if they had time for this during an appeal!
Etienne
nervymum1

Post by nervymum1 »

Thank you Etienne for the quick reply....
You haven't read the Q&As?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 35&t=35032" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I had read these...hence asked the head teacher to help us...she was very supportive and said that she would sit with DS class teacher and write about his current levels , extra-curricular activities ...etc I mean abt him on the whole...

Would one letter & sample work in year 6 suffice?? for an appeal
I'm afraid if you decided he was well enough to attend on the day, then the view is likely to be that he was well enough to take the test.
Again, this is covered in the Q&As:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He wasn't really well that morning of exam too....but he didn't want to give it a miss...We really appreciate him for performing this well!!That's why I had asked if it would be of any help :(

The appeal form says this
If part of the reason for your appeal is your or your child’s medical/health condition it may be helpful to your case if you were able to provide written evidence of this. Medical etiquette precludes the Clerk from writing direct to your GP about such matters.
So wouldn't this apply to our case?

Thank you.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

I had read these...hence asked the head teacher to help us...she was very supportive and said that she would sit with DS class teacher and write about his current levels
The point about B11 in the Q&As is that you need as much academic evidence as possible.
NC levels are one bit of evidence.
Would one letter & sample work in year 6 suffice?? for an appeal
Sample work?
From what I remember of consortium appeals in Slough, panels were in a hurry (15 minute slots per case), and it used to be stated in writing that no weight would be given to school work.

Whatever the current situation at Langley, our general advice in the Q&As is pretty clear:
    • Photocopies of school work might be discouraged, although it depends on local practice (the panel might not even be interested in school work!). The problem with photocopies is: (1) it might look as if you are carefully selecting specific pages while concealing others
      http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b11" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
      [scroll down to Note 1.]
      I would advise anyway against a few carefully selected pieces of work. It begs the question “How much help was given?” or “What’s his or her work usually like?”
      http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... aneous#e12" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
extra-curricular activities ...etc I mean abt him on the whole...
If she means academic extra-curricular activities (for example: gifted & talented register, science club, primary maths challenge, essay competition, chess club), that would be fine.
However, writing "about him on the whole" sounds as if she might be focusing on non-academic matters (e.g. character, and what a helpful member of the class he is). If so, that would be a waste of time!
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b48" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He wasn't really well that morning of exam too....but he didn't want to give it a miss...We really appreciate him for performing this well!!That's why I had asked if it would be of any help
The Q&As couldn't be clearer ........
    • Unless your son became unexpectedly unwell during the test, and told the teacher supervising, then this will not impress. If you decided to send your child in to school, the assumption has to be that he was in a fit state.

Too often panels hear the argument “With the benefit of hindsight we shouldn’t have allowed him to take the test, but he pleaded with us not to postpone it. He desperately wanted to be with his friends. We had to let him do what he wanted.”

A child who is not fit to attend school must NOT be allowed to sit the test. If parents want to abrogate their responsibilities, and then appeal on this basis, they should not be surprised if a panel perceives this to be an abuse of the system.
The appeal form says this
If part of the reason for your appeal is your or your child’s medical/health condition it may be helpful to your case if you were able to provide written evidence of this.
This could apply in situations where, for example, the child was well enough to attend for the test, but had been ill for an extended period of time beforehand, and had missed a lot of schooling.

Another example might be if a child - unexpectedly - started feeling unwell during the test (but finished it), was taken to the GP later that day, and something was diagnosed.

A third example would be if a child was handicapped in some way, and would still be disadvantaged even if the test were to be postponed to a later date.
Etienne
nervymum1

Post by nervymum1 »

Can't thank you enough Etienne :)...I made a note of all the points you had mentioned.

I'm going to speak to the head teacher and ask to include the specific points you had suggested rather than giving an overall view about DS.

regarding the sample work : this is what is written in the Langley appeal form

You may send as part of your evidence, samples of the pupil’s Year 6 work in English, Mathematics and Science and a recent school report.

I'll let you know how I get on :)

Thanks once again.
Nervymum1.
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

regarding the sample work : this is what is written in the Langley appeal form
    • "You may send as part of your evidence, samples of the pupil’s Year 6 work in English, Mathematics and Science and a recent school report."
Ah! If they've put that it writing, I see no problem.
I suspect, though, that they might be doing this just to pre-empt appellants from bringing exercise books to the hearing! (Exercise books are much more useful as evidence, but take up too much time!)

With regard to illness, I would suggest you omit any mention in your written submission. Take the GP letter with you to the hearing, and wait for a suitable question. With any luck someone will ask "How was he on the day of the test?"
Very reluctantly you could then explain what happened. Casually mention that you have a letter if they want to see it, but that you haven't come to make excuses.
    • ….. in this situation the best approach is to appear reluctant to ‘offer excuses’, to let the panel drag the information out of you bit by bit, if the opportunity arises, rather than to build it up as a major issue. Understate the point, or you risk diluting your case as a whole.
      http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... cation#b10" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Don't overlook reasons for wanting a place:
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/appeal ... -school#c2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!
Etienne
nervymum1

Post by nervymum1 »

How to provide evidence for KS2 Predictions, reading age, working at levels?

Will it be enough if the head teacher includes them in her
Support letter?
Etienne

Post by Etienne »

Yes. Ideally there should be evidence of progression to show that the predictions are realistic, e.g.
• End of year 5 - 4a
• KS2 prediction - 5b.

Year 5 levels might be in the end of year report you received, or they could be included in the headteacher's letter along with any other results.
Etienne
nervymum1

Post by nervymum1 »

Hi Etienne,

Spoke to the Head teacher requested her to add the points, she has kindly agreed to do so.

Meanwhile I did speak to the class teacher about year 5 SAT's results & recent school report, she says that she would include them in the letter. HT & class teacher are together going to draft one letter with all the academic reasons.

So my doubt is, will it b okay to put Working at levels, predicted sat's levels, reading age, year 5 sat's results all in one letter by headteacher???
In addition to this sample works will be sent too....

Would these be sufficient for appeal?

Thanks,
Nervymum1.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

Do you have any school reports from yr5? I was asked to provide these as well last year - different area though. Did the school do any CAT testing/Nfer testing? You can only submit the evidence, any mitigating circumstances you have and your reasons why you want a place at that school. What is sufficient is really up to the appeal panel to assess- This is going to depend on a number of things- how many other appellants there are, how strong a case the school puts up and the relative merits of each case heard. It is a tough thing to go through-and very stressful!! hope it works out for you.