Early test?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Lincolnshire (Lincs)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
enaknn

Early test?

Post by enaknn »

Hi,

We had planned for DS to take the 11+ in September 2014, but we now plan to be abroad from August 2014.
Although we probably wouldn't be back for year 7, if we did he would want to be in Grammar school (Kings or Carres), and the same if we returned for year 8.

So two questions...
1. Would the history of passing the 11+ help if we came back for year 8, or would he likely be re-tested anyhow?
2. Is it possible to take the 11+ either remotely or just earlier? (perhaps in July rather than September)

Thanks for any advice.
hermanmunster

Re: Early test?

Post by hermanmunster »

I can't imagine a school would set an early test for a child so it would either be at the same time or later

some LEAs allow the child to take the test abroad in their own school, it really varies which LEAs - some expect people to turn up regardless, others make arrangement for Crown employees etc - you need to ask Lincolnshire.

I am not sure how passing in year 6 and wanting a place in year 8 will pan out - Most schools will want a more recent assessment of how they are getting on and would set another test for all those applying for a year 8 or later place.
enaknn

Post by enaknn »

hermanmunster wrote:I can't imagine a school would set an early test for a child so it would either be at the same time or later

some LEAs allow the child to take the test abroad in their own school, it really varies which LEAs - some expect people to turn up regardless, others make arrangement for Crown employees etc - you need to ask Lincolnshire.

I am not sure how passing in year 6 and wanting a place in year 8 will pan out - Most schools will want a more recent assessment of how they are getting on and would set another test for all those applying for a year 8 or later place.
Thanks - that helps. Sounds like I ask Lincolnshire LEA about the possibility of a test abroad (or later if we travel back at some point), and presume to do some occasional older Bond books etc to ensure a smooth year 8 or later test if needed.
Alex

Post by Alex »

It is not possible to take the test early in the same year. The test results are generally reckoned to" last" for one year so were you to take the test then return during Year 7 the result would still stand. However, if you returned during Year 8 your son would have to test again (the schools use different tests for entry higher up the school as well). Children do sometimes take the test from overseas; you would need to discuss this direct with the Grammar school.

You do need to remember that passing the test in itself is no guarantee of a place at the school. King's allocates on score order; Carre's allocates on score order once the places in the priority area and partner schools have been allocated, but is generally less oversubscribed than King's. The majority of people wanting to join the schools higher up will face an oversubscription appeal after passing the tests.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now