lazy children at Grammar schools

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Wolves mum

lazy children at Grammar schools

Post by Wolves mum »

I'm just wondering if any of you have a "lazy" child who has successfully passed the 11 plus? I am under the impression that Grammar schools expect a lot from the children, how has you lazy child coped, did they rise to the challenge or hate Grammar school?

I'm in the process of preparing DS2 and although he is bright he will ALWAYS do the bare minimum work that is required of him. I'm not sure if Grammar will be suitable for him, although he insists he wants to do the 11 plus.

I'd love to hear other parents experiences.
moseleymum

Re: lazy children at Grammar schools

Post by moseleymum »

I'm sure he's not that bad :) .

Maybe this thread will help?
http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=34972" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Lol! You have just described ds2!! He is that child - definitely minimum effort - he is super bright, so has always had the ability to coast slightly, and still get the grades. The drama we have to get him to do his homework is hateful - I must spend hours cajoling and reminding him it has to be done - probably takes him no longer than 20 minutes to do, but we have to have the huffing and puffing like Thomas the Tank Engine, beforehand. However, he has passed and will be going to a super selective in Sept so I guess he turned it on when he needed to. I do have to keep telling him that he will have to come in from school and do his homework, straight away, no arguing...ask me again in September if it worked!!
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

My ds is also not great for doing homework as far as I am concerned everything is left to the last minute and seems to do the bare minimum but was working at high levels in primary school. Now in Yr 7 in a grammar school has a just had an amazing school report getting excellent for effort for most subjects and school seem very happy with the level of his work so he is doing something right I guess.
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Lol! You have just described ds2!! He is that child - definitely minimum effort - he is super bright, so has always had the ability to coast slightly, and still get the grades. The drama we have to get him to do his homework is hateful - I must spend hours cajoling and reminding him it has to be done - probably takes him no longer than 20 minutes to do, but we have to have the huffing and puffing like Thomas the Tank Engine, beforehand. However, he has passed and will be going to a super selective in Sept so I guess he turned it on when he needed to. I do have to keep telling him that he will have to come in from school and do his homework, straight away, no arguing...ask me again in September if it worked!!
You have just described my DS, KCG - nice to know he won't be the only horizontal boy there in September!
Much like his mother, he will only put in any effort when its absolutely required :lol:

JD
Elbart

Post by Elbart »

JamesDean wrote:
kenyancowgirl wrote:Lol! You have just described ds2!! He is that child - definitely minimum effort - he is super bright, so has always had the ability to coast slightly, and still get the grades. The drama we have to get him to do his homework is hateful - I must spend hours cajoling and reminding him it has to be done - probably takes him no longer than 20 minutes to do, but we have to have the huffing and puffing like Thomas the Tank Engine, beforehand. However, he has passed and will be going to a super selective in Sept so I guess he turned it on when he needed to. I do have to keep telling him that he will have to come in from school and do his homework, straight away, no arguing...ask me again in September if it worked!!
You have just described my DS, KCG - nice to know he won't be the only horizontal boy there in September!
Much like his mother, he will only put in any effort when its absolutely required :lol:

JD
Snap with DS1 and DS2 is probably 40% better.

Elbart
Wolves mum

Post by Wolves mum »

Thanks for the link moseleymum.

It's nice to see some (lazy) chilled out kids have passed their exams!
JamesDean

Post by JamesDean »

Interesting that its only mothers of boys who've replied so far ...

JD
Turtlegirl

Post by Turtlegirl »

I have a girl who isn't exactly lazy, but doesn't really like doing work that's set for her.... So 11+ prep was awful and homework has been a continuing battle. Her grammar school have been very good in targetting her propensity to 'forget' her homework and she's getting a lot better. We're half way through Year 8 now though, and I do think it's likely to always be a battle for her to get her head together and focus on work. But as she matures I can see the capacity emerging. Sometimes you just have to stick your bottom on the chair and force yourself to do it. (Speaking from personal experience too!).
Happy dad

Post by Happy dad »

JamesDean wrote:Interesting that its only mothers of boys who've replied so far ...

JD
Nature of the beast - assuming you were referring to boys as opposed to mothers :wink:

Both DS only do the miminum outside the class but work very well inside the classroom environment. Both got into grammar school. I have parents evening at KEFW next Tuesday so will know then if being lazy can still be an option.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now