CEM style practice tests to do at home

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
jabba7

CEM style practice tests to do at home

Post by jabba7 »

Please can anyone who knows advise me of any CEM style practice tests that I can buy to do at home.

I remember with my older DS who sat the old test that it was helpful to do GL, Susan Daughtry etc to get them to sit still for 50 mins and practice a whole test.

Please can anyone advise what are the best books to buy to do this for the new test.

Thanks so much for any help :D
MamaBear

Re: CEM style practice tests to do at home

Post by MamaBear »

The CGP CEM tests are very good. its the only ones I know of.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Look at the shop on this forum. They have a section for CEM and do next day delivery on all their books. A lot are out of stock at the moment but if you keep checking they come in stock pretty quickly. DG
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Thanks Mamabear I have the tests you mention and as there are only 2 of them keeping them for nearer the day. They look good and it really feels like we should have more of this type available. :?

Thanks Daogroupie, I really only want to buy MCQ papers as we thinks this is what the test will be and also to avoid the tests with codes etc as they shouldn't come up.

Has anyone used the first past the post as these look OK and are MCQ, please can I have any opinions re if these are worth doing.

gameon

Post by gameon »

I am using CGP cem books. For maths, I am also using the S&S mental math 3 & 4. Even though it is not designed specifically for CEM, I think it gives good coverage.

I am planning to give SATs level 6 paper in July time.

A&E vocabulary books are good, if you got time to do them.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

The level 6 sats paper is not really appropriate for bucks cem (as it was last year) Better to throw problem solving at them in any format you can find, just to get them super quick at finding the sum (which ds2 told me was pretty basic). They need to be able to read and interpret the problems in a silly fast amount of time, this leaves zero time to actually do the calculation, so number bonds and time tables must be lighting speed. (Unlike ds3 who is still not averse to using his fingers bless him :lol: )

Heineman problem solving level 6 is good, and has seven to ten problems a page so is snappy, it is also handbag sized so you can carry it about and torture them on the move!

I have just ordered the eleven plus essentials cem maths books, so will update on those in a few weeks after some Easter holiday mean mummy lessons. :twisted: (choccy eggs as bribery?)

I have also been giving him a page of everything that comes up from comp, to cloze and nvr etc and making him do it all together, swapping from one to the other. Nearer test date I will be chopping up more books, giving him the answer boxes separately and timing him, which he will really hate.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Personally, I think you will have a much better chance if you are on Schofield and Simms Mental Maths book 5/6. Both my boys were on the Level 6 by the time they went into Y6 and sailed through CEM. I would think 3/4 is a bit low so would aim for 5.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

Definitely, my little man is doing level 5 s and s mental maths too, he did a bit of level 4 in year 4 and the start of year 5
He always does good work on the day to day and blooming terribly on the progress tests though?
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Oh...that sounds familiar!! I can't remember what time they suggest for them - we used to shorten it slightly and he would never finish in the time!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

kenyancowgirl wrote:Oh...that sounds familiar!! I can't remember what time they suggest for them - we used to shorten it slightly and he would never finish in the time!
I am not surprised he did not finish, you are supposed to do twenty in ten mins as it is...You mean old harridan. :lol:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now