Where should we start? DD is currently in Year Four.

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
SouthWiltsGrammer

Where should we start? DD is currently in Year Four.

Post by SouthWiltsGrammer »

My DD is currently in Year Four. I know she will have to do:

a. Maths (MA) - 50 minutes
b. English (EN) - 45 minutes
c. Verbal Reasoning (VR) - 50 minutes

And it will be GL assessment for South Wilts Grammar school.

I'm not sure how to jump into this? Someone has pointed me in the direction of the shop on here for Wiltshire specific books but they were obviously full size practise papers. I was wondering about starting with bite size stuff so my DD doesn't get scared off?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Is there a general skills book I can get or something like that? Or daily papers with with just a few questions?
Yamin151

Re: Where should we start? DD is currently in Year Four.

Post by Yamin151 »

SouthWiltsGrammer wrote:My DD is currently in Year Four. I know she will have to do:

I'm not sure how to jump into this? Someone has pointed me in the direction of the shop on here for Wiltshire specific books but they were obviously full size practise papers. I was wondering about starting with bite size stuff so my DD doesn't get scared off?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Is there a general skills book I can get or something like that? Or daily papers with with just a few questions?
You have plenty of time, don't start until year 5 for a start. The as you say, start bite size, nothing too big or scary, and build up a little a get closer, but mine never did a full practice paper.
SouthWiltsGrammer

Yamin151 wrote:
SouthWiltsGrammer wrote:My DD is currently in Year Four. I know she will have to do:

You have plenty of time, don't start until year 5 for a start. The as you say, start bite size, nothing too big or scary, and build up a little a get closer, but mine never did a full practice paper.
Thank you for your reply, I wanted to take advantage of the long summer holiday as my DD is always looking for stuff to do when she is sick of playing/reading. I'm definitely looking for bite size stuff though!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

Just a thought as the exam is over two years away the format might change, the fashion seems to be cem see other regions for details, so a more general approach focusing on vocab, literacy and numeracy might be best whatever the future holds.
SouthWiltsGrammer

stevew61 wrote:Just a thought as the exam is over two years away the format might change, the fashion seems to be cem see other regions for details, so a more general approach focusing on vocab, literacy and numeracy might be best whatever the future holds.
Thank you for your reply.
I don't thinks it's over two years away though, I think it's more like 17 months away? The test is in September time for South Wilts Girls Grammar. My DD will take it at the beginning of Year six I thought?
ptolemy

Post by ptolemy »

Reading everyday is important. You could spend some time everyday discussing what she has read focussing on vocabulary and comprehension. You could maybe ask her to write a review once she has completed the book.
As for Maths, try to work on mental maths skills, time tables and word problems.
This should be sufficient at this stage. Good luck!
stevew61

Post by stevew61 »

You are right about 17 months but keep an eye out for any consultations on change.
SouthWiltsGrammer

stevew61 wrote:You are right about 17 months but keep an eye out for any consultations on change.

I'm definitely going to keep an eye on the school website. Thank you!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I would make a gentle start. By September it will be your turn next. Smiths have some excellent books for Y4 that I would recommend. Is your English paper comprehension only or creative writing as well? DG
SouthWiltsGrammer

Daogroupie wrote:I would make a gentle start. By September it will be your turn next. Smiths have some excellent books for Y4 that I would recommend. Is your English paper comprehension only or creative writing as well? DG
The English paper is: Reading, Comprehension, Spelling , Punctuation and Grammar.

Over the past four weeks we have been working through the IPS starter series verbal reasoning as a way of jumping in which she has found mostly OK. We've been using the method and technique book to go with it. I definitely like working to work books otherwise I feel like I'm drowning a bit! Any general books you can recommend from WH Smiths that we can wade our way through? I think I mentioned upthread that South Wilts Grammar is currently GL assessment so I need to keep that in mind.
Last edited by SouthWiltsGrammer on Fri May 02, 2014 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.