exam today

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
traceyanne

exam today

Post by traceyanne »

Oh I was dreading this, daughters come home stressed after maths exam today she didn't finnish and had her question paper taken away mid way through for marking the paper. I can't believe they thought it was worth it, surely once its been done there's no point in changing the paper! She was put off by this and is blaiming the unfinnished paper on this partly.
What should I do? I've told her it shouldn't have made much difference but can you imagine a really near fail where one more correct answer would have made all the difference. She did however say the rest of the paper wasn't that hard.
Bexley Mum 2

Today's maths

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

oh FOR GOODNESS SAKE!!!! what difference does it make if they write on the question paper? Surely they can't reuse them just in case somebody has done just that and they didn't notice. Just asked my son and he said they were told at the start not to write on the question paper but use the scrap paper provided. He and his friend thought the paper was OK and both finished with time to spare. He's now lying on the sofa watching TV with a bag of toffee next to him ......

I'm worried now about the NVR paper because, as I'm sure you know, you can quite quickly narrow the correct answer down to one of two options and I've been getting him to eliminate 3 straight away by putting a line through them so he can see clearly which two he's focusing on. We'll have to practice covering up three of them with his fingers at the weekend!

I'm slightly disgruntled because a few of the kids sitting the exam said they were disturbed by people walking past the window to pick their children up from nursery, which finishes early. But what a relief to get one out of the way. I can see my son feels happier.
traceyanne

Post by traceyanne »

Hi Bexley mum, she only wrote on it once, she doesn't want me to say anything, I only hope that she did alright on the rest of the paper. She reckons she left 3 or 4 questions in all. I guess what annoys me most is that she's been finnishing her papers at home with really good percentages I'll try not to mention it (much!)now and concentrate on her relaxing before tommorows paper. Pizza, telly and feet up seems to be her favourite at the momment. Poor girls birthdays tommorow!
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I've just had an awful thought. Because my son was told not to write on the question booklet he ringed 5 questions on the answer sheet that he found difficult and went back to them at the end when he had more time to think about them. I wonder if this will cause a problem when the answer sheets are marked - presumably electronically?
SunlampVexesEel

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

Bexley Mum 2 wrote:I've just had an awful thought. Because my son was told not to write on the question booklet he ringed 5 questions on the answer sheet that he found difficult and went back to them at the end when he had more time to think about them. I wonder if this will cause a problem when the answer sheets are marked - presumably electronically?
I am no expert but I think the computers only read the bits near the answers... so if he ringed the number then the computer (OMR) would not see it.

This is very difference from resolving a rubbed out answer in the answer section... that is harder for the OMR to discern.

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
Bexley Mum 2

Marks on answer sheet

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Worried all night about my son ringing question numbers on answer sheets (so he could go back to difficult ones later). Didn't want him to do it again if it might cause a problem, but didn't want to say anything in case he panicked about what he did yesterday. Finally gave in and said something about making sure his circles didn't go anywhere near any of the answer boxes. He looked at me witheringly and said, "but I rub them out when I've answered them...." :wink:
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Typical! After a worried nights lack of sleep too! Still, its the best possible outcome! Good luck to you all. :) :)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now