Easter revision

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

MerlinFromCamelot

Easter revision

Post by MerlinFromCamelot »

Anyone doing any?

We are going to make a start with verbal reasoning over the holidays. Not done much so far as DD has come down with a virus. Not sure if VR will come up in the Bexley test, probably not but who knows what will be in the Kent test?
kal12003

Re: Easter revision

Post by kal12003 »

Hi, we are also in Kent so my daughter will be sitting the kent test in Sep. She has done at least one of the bond 10 minute tests every day so far. Am looking to increase the prep after Easter though. I think we are due more information on the Kent test in May, fingers crossed! One of the papers will be "reasoning" so my thoughts are that it will be made up of both verbal & non verbal.
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

Hi,

My daughter sat the Bexley test last September, which was the first CEM test. The two papers combined, were split 50% verbal reasoning, 25% numerical reasoning and 25% NVR. I realise that CEM change from year to year but I would expect all areas to be tested each year even if the percentages change.
MerlinFromCamelot

May I asked if VR is still the old Bond style VR as we know it or has this now entirely been replaced by numerical reasoning. If it is now numerical than the old style VR may or may not show up in the Kent test. As such I'm really unsure as to how much work to spend on old style VR.

Thanks
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

Hi,

Sorry I have no experience of the 11plus before CEM but we used the First Past The Post and CGP books which were all purchased from the CEM section in the shop on this site. We worked a lot on vocab using a list of words posted on one of the regions here. It may have been Birmingham because I used that site a lot for advice. As Bexley is all multi choice the formats of the books may not be the same as will be encountered in the exam but they are good practice for increasing vocab and for the comprehension.
amfnc

Post by amfnc »

I too have been working through the Bonds papers with my son. My son will be taking the Bexley test in September too and I hear that knowing lots of different vocabulary is needed to get through the English/verbal reasoning section. I am thinking of purchasing the First Past the Post books and trying my DS with them. Mich895, I don't suppose you know where I can find the vocab list you mentioned that was posted on another forum? I did have a quick look on the Birmingham one but as you can imagine it's like looking for a needle in a haystack. I'd love to have the list so I could go through it with my son. Thanks
MerlinFromCamelot

Was it in Bucks as they use CEM as well.

Could it be this one; http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... =3&t=33888" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Hopefully someone wiser will come along soon! :-)
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Check my postings here.....http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=36775" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sonasona

Post by sonasona »

Check my postings here.....http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... 11&t=36775" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mich895

Post by Mich895 »

While I haven't yet found the list I used, there is very good advice on both Bucks and Birmingham forums under " CEM preparation "headings.