First past the post-timings

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
MamaBear

First past the post-timings

Post by MamaBear »

Hi

I have just purchased the Book 1 of First past the post cloze.. 6 mins for Test A!! Aaagh! ds2 is so slow and relaxed.

Anyone else have problems with the crazy CEM timings?
parent2013

Re: First past the post-timings

Post by parent2013 »

I am not surprised to see the awful timings. Personally, I felt that 6 mins are too less and the CEM material in the market is too complex. So just try your best and hope the real exam will not be as complicated.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

You still have time to check your dc knows some of the trickier vocab in those cloze books, hide the books for a few weeks, then pull them out again after you have spent some quality time ( :lol: ) looking up the trickier words with dc, rather than looking up words after the test when they are fed up and want to escape to play.

Some of the tests are far more straight forward, test one is horrible, and the great wall of China had even had mummy, let alone boy, in a bit of a pickle the first time. :evil: but the Incas is fine.

Pointless doing some of them until the vocab is at least vaguely recognised though.
MamaBear

Post by MamaBear »

thanks for this parent2013 and southbucks!
berks_mum

Post by berks_mum »

DD found FTP close very hard (we haven't timed her yet). First one she somehow managed to link fit some words (50-60%) but she found the Earthquake(section 2) ones too hard….
Don't know if words like Colossal,perpetually shifting are part of a 9 yr old's vocabulary.
parent2013

Post by parent2013 »

berks_mum wrote:DD found FTP close very hard.
yoyo,patricia - I am conscious of the fact that EPE publish FTP. Are we are allowed to provide feedback (which may include both appreciation and criticism) on FTP? Please advise.
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

OMG

I am in state of shock, ds3 just got 20/22 right on book 2 test g (granted one of the nicer tests) with a minute to spare :shock:

We have not touched a cloze for nearly six weeks!

He asked if he could have 40p for his morning work, rather than the normal 20p "as I did so well" I gave him some mini eggs instead which seemed to please.

Obviously the way to progress is bury your head in the sand for half a term, face your demons, then cross your fingers tight as your dc beavers away. :lol:

I just cannot face the three page Neil Armstrong cloze though....in 7 minutes, I know he will just put the brakes firmly on!
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I think ds3 is a hustler....well, Robert Redford did alright out of that career....!!
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

I know he is a hustler :lol:
If I start training him to count cards now, rather than pass stupid tests, I think the boy could be a millionaire by the time he is 18! He has perfected looking innocent and dim already, when obviously there is really quite a lot going on in his skull!