Standard or Multiple Choice?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Bexley Mum 2

Standard or Multiple Choice?

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

I'm sure the answer is in this forum somewhere, but to save me looking, could someone tell me if the Kent 11 plus is standard or multiple choice? My son is doing the test in January for Wilmington and Dartford. Not sure if the whole of Kent uses the same test or if North Kent has a different one.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

As far as I'm aware the Kent test comprises of a multiple choice non verbal, verbal and maths test. As far as the english goes, I think it is a short piece of writing and comprehension? I do know the english is ONLY marked if it comes down to a borderline pass.

Hope this helpful: my d is doing the January test too and I am only too aware we need to get cracking on the non verbal! :wink:
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Thanks medway mum. I thought it was how you described but I mentioned to his teacher this afternoon that my son would be doing the Kent test in January and she said she thought it was in the standard format. You've put my mind at rest. We've been practising multiple choice for the Bexley tests (which we're currently half way through) and he's used to having answers to choose from!

I'm assuming that, having put Dartford and Wilmington down on our CAF as out of borough choices, somebody will get in touch with us at some point to tell us where the tests on 12 January are taking place and what the format will be?!
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Yes, I'm sure you will get a letter. As my daughter goes to a Kent school (we are on border of Kent/Medway) she will sit Kent exam I think 8th and 9th Jan in school time (two mornings, 2 exams per morning).

Good Luck! :) :)
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Lucky you. My son has to do them all in one day on 12 January. I understand they will be able to do practice tests on 5 January, but I'm not sure if I can bear to get him to do 4 tests two Saturdays running! I was hoping that, if the Kent test was sufficiently similar to the Bexley test he wouldn't need the practice.
medwaymum

Post by medwaymum »

Although we do them over two mornings at school, they are the REAL tests not practice ones. As far as I know the school do not do practice sessions, they will be lucky to see a sheet or two of vr/nvr in fact!

My d sat the Medway test all in one go (3 x 50mins tests) at a secondary school with other primary schools and if its any consolation she was rather glad just to get them over and done with! They did get plenty of breaks in between and water and biscuits, also from what I can gather there was quite high spirits from the children.

Keep your chin up :D :D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Yes Kent test is multiple choice, as far as I know schools don't do practise tests.

The English is a piece of writing which is only used if teh child os borderline.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Yes, I think on balance it's best to get them over with quickly rather than the long drawn out affair we have here in Bexley - maths on Wednesday and VR on Thursday this week; then English on Wednesday and NVR on Thursday next week. Purgatory! Like taking off a plaster very, very slowly! And you're trying for a week to make extra sure they get lots of sleep, lots of healthy food, keep away from people with colds etc etc...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now