Computer based entrance exams

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Too Lazy to Sign In

Computer based entrance exams

Post by Too Lazy to Sign In »

Our school of choice uses computer based entrance exams. They tell all prospective parents that the exam will measure potential and is impossible to practice for. I don't want to naively accept this only to find out at a later date that everyone else has been prepared. Any thoughts or experience of these kinds of tests?

Many thanks
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

It must be tempting to take the school at its word and not get dragged into the dreaded practice, practice, practice syndrome. My son is doing an entrance test for an independent school in case he doesn't pass his 11plus and, although the school has provided one sample paper, I feel very much out of my comfort zone and am not sure what preparation is required.

This may sound completely barmy, but my dad read an article recently about a headmaster in Scotland who carried out an experiment to compare children who had been playing on Brain Academy (the Wii/Nintendo DS game) prior to an exam and those that hadn't. He concluded that the children who had played on the game performed significantly better than those who hadn't. My son's been playing on it this week (no coincidence that he's in the middle of his 11+ tests!) and it is very much about improving speed, accuracy and mental agility. It might be worth doing something like that, and, of course, ensuring that your child is well rested, fed and in a confident frame of mind, rather than trying to guess what might be in the test?
KenR

Post by KenR »

What school is it for?

I know Eton, Bedford School and Marborough College use Digitial entrance tests from GetINTU
Too Lazy to Sign In

Thank you for your help.

The school in question is Rugby. It's only their second year of using the system so no local historical knowledge.
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi

I'm believe the 3 schools I mentioned use the CEM centre in Durham for their tests

http://www.cemcentre.org/renderpage.asp?linkID=30810000

But don't know about Rugby School. However CEM online assessment tests like Alis, MidYIS and Yellis are used by lots of schools nationally, so Rugby may use them for their Entrance Tests as well.
Too Lazy to Sign In

Thanks Ken. So is there any prepartion we can do?
Ed's mum

Post by Ed's mum »

Hi too lazy to sign in! My son is trying for Rugby this January. What entry is your child in for...11+ or 13+?
Too Lazy to Sign In

Hi Sis. Surely you know it's me!
KenR

Post by KenR »

Hi too lazy

If it is the CEM Centre GetINTU Entrance Testing system then this is supposed to be prep and tutor resistant, but they would say that wouldn't they!

They don't release much information about the test. This is the same organisation that sets the paper based KE Foundation grammar 11+ exams in Birmingham and parents do not get much information about that exam either.

However if I was in your position I would probably buy a range VR, NVR and Maths interactive 11+ CDs and use those as you primary tutoring mechanism. At least that's going to get your child familar with interactive screen based testing. If you check the home page of this site there are a number available. I guess using a variety of material is the key point recognising that the content in the test will probably have unforeseen content and sections.

Hope this helps

Ken
Charlotte67

Post by Charlotte67 »

Thanks KenR, you're a star!!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now