School fee rises

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Macca7

School fee rises

Post by Macca7 »

:shock: I have worked out that fees for the prep school my child attends has risen by over 70% in nominal terms over 10 years! Surely such rises are unsustainable- especially when wages are fairly stagnant and the economy has gone through a prolonged recession? Will this mean private schools will only be for the wealthy, where grandparents finance etc.? Truly shocked by this.
hermanmunster

Re: School fee rises

Post by hermanmunster »

yes they certainly do increase steadily, my experience was of it increasing rather more than that - started in 1997 at about £800/term and finished 2008 @ £2200..

Still way below senior fees.

There are plenty of people who still have the money however have seen a number of prep schools struggle over the years, usually the smaller ones with palatial buildings and large grounds which cost a fortune to keep up. One locally is some of the land for development to enable work to be done on the listed main building
Macca7

Post by Macca7 »

That's some increase! My child's fees for their last year have nudged over £4k (and we are not in London!) so in actual fact there is not a great deal of difference between this and some senior schools fees, especially the lower years. Facilities are far from great/ palatial.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

4k is a lot for prep!

Just thinking about it, the increase I mentioned referred to 2 different preps so might look more than it was - prep 1 started at £800 and is now (17 years later) £1990

Prep 2 was about £1600 in 2005 and is £2650 now.

Just checked a couple of others locally
£2700,
£3650 (yrs 5/6) 4250 (yrs 7/8) - struggling financially
£2920 (was boys only now coed)