Catchment area

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
helping_hand

Catchment area

Post by helping_hand »

Hi
when do you need to live in the catchment area to be eligibale for a place?
For eg for Reading schools the address where you are living on June 14th is the one considered for the applications.
Is there something like that for Bucks?
Please can someone advise

Thanks
Sally-Anne

Re: Catchment area

Post by Sally-Anne »

For Dr Challoners GS (boys), you need to be resident from 1st April in the year preceding admission, so 1st April 2014 for admission in September 2015. (You must also have sold any house that you own within 20 miles of the school.)

For all the other Bucks grammars, you need to be resident from 1st October 2014.

The 11+ results are issued to parents on 10th October 2014. Oh no, they're not, Sally-Anne. Results Day is Friday 17th October.
Last edited by Sally-Anne on Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Soothing jabba7's worried brow
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Hi Sally-Anne

I thought results day was 17th Oct as per the below link:

http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... fer-tests/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I've booked that day off and may struggle to get the 10th, please say it's the 17th!

Thanks
Jabba7
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

You are quite correct, Jabba. I will edit my post. Not sure where I got the 10th from ... made it up, I would imagine!
helping_hand

Post by helping_hand »

so basically you need to be living there before the results are out.

Right?

What if I move there after the results? will I still be offered a place based on my new address ?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

The address you were living at before the appropriate cut off date will be what counts. Moving after that date will make no difference.

Many schools are changing to this to cut down on the numbers taking the tests, then moving once results are known. The son of a colleague took 6 or 7 exams this year with a view to moving if they didn't get their nearest choice. Reading this forum I suspect he wasn't alone by a long shot.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

helping_hand wrote:Right?
Spot on.
What if I move there after the results? will I still be offered a place based on my new address ?
Your application will be treated as "late" and not included in the first round of allocations. Your new address will be used for the second round which is (for 2014) tomorrow, i.e. 6 weeks later.

All the Bucks grammars were over-subscribed on Allocations Day this year with the exception of Aylesbury High School, John Hampden GS and Sir Henry Floyd GS. (John Hampden is usually oversubscribed as well.)

Whether your child would be offered a place in the second round would depend on how much movement there is on the lists for each school. Some schools may have a place or two come up, while others may not. Every year is different at every school, and there is no definitive advice we can give you on that.

(X-post with Tinkers, who is quite correct about why this rule is in place.)
jabba7

Post by jabba7 »

Thanks for confirming Sally-Anne :D
helping_hand

Post by helping_hand »

thank you all
Marylou

Post by Marylou »

Sally-Anne wrote:You are quite correct, Jabba. I will edit my post. Not sure where I got the 10th from ... made it up, I would imagine!
Possibly because last year's results came out on the 11th? It looks as though they're going to be a week later this year. :o
Marylou
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now