PLEASE READ! Feed the World (and Enrich Your Vocab!)

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Sally-Anne

PLEASE READ! Feed the World (and Enrich Your Vocab!)

Post by Sally-Anne »

I originally posted this link on Wednesday 24th October 2007, thinking that it was a bit of fun that seemed to be very appropriate for this site.

By popular demand I have been asked to post it again as a "Sticky" so that it remains at the top of this section:
A new challenge for quiet moments - for every correct answer the filthy-rich international sponsors of this UN site will donate 10 grains of rice.

http://www.freerice.com/

There are 50 levels, and apparently Level 48 is most people's max.
Many parents have found that their children are very motivated by the challenge of simply answering questions to "Feed the World" and Patricia, our Verbal Reasoning guru, feels that it is a very good tool for children to practice for the 11+.

The site opens at around Vocab Level 40, which is fairly tough, so I suggest that you deliberately answer questions wrong until the Level gets down to one appropriate for your child - Level 6 is a good place to start.

Please tell your child that some words are "Americanisms", either in spelling or meaning, although thankfully there are very few of them.

Please do post your comments and achievements (or your child's achievements!) on this thread.

Let's all hope that the site is a worldwide success.
Jill

Post by Jill »

It only opens at level 40 if you get the first 4 'assessment' questions correct. Other levels for entry are 10, 20 or 30 depending on how many you get wrong!! :oops:
patricia

Post by patricia »

I deliberately answered the introductory words incorrectly, hence starting at level 1....

I know Sally -Anne mentioned starting at level 6, however level 1 will ease your child into the 'game,' and will probably buy more rice...

Patricia
One Down...

Post by One Down... »

Great site!!
But be warned - ultimate thief of time!! Went for a quick look and two hours later have had to tear myself away (it's addictive like Big Brain Academy on the Wii! - 'just one more go and i'll definitely get a better score' etc.
Will show children when get home as I'm sure they'll love it- improving scores and feeding children, what could be better?

Feel pleased with myself as know more than i expected - but must now rush to do all the things I should have been doing in the last two hours.
Have fun!
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I'll have a look, sounds interesting.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Why did you make me go onit?

I am addicted, up to 12,220 and can't tear myself away..

BYE! just time for a few more words I think................
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I like it !

I have been very controlled and just do 1000 grains a day
jazzteddy

Free Rice

Post by jazzteddy »

Ooh how very addictive, looked up free rice when the first post about it was put on this site. Showed it to my son, who showed it to his form tutor, who said she thought it was a great idea for the boys at school to improve thier vocab and donate free rice at the same time.
Now its displayed on the school website.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

From the Free Rice Totals Page:
The amount donated for each correct answer was increased from 10 grains of rice to 20 grains on 28 November 2007.
:D
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

:D :D :D

Even MORE excuse to waste time playing it..
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now