Test Teach!

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

makkar

Test Teach!

Post by makkar »

Hi Parents, Just want to inquire about the 'test teach' tuition centre in Sutton .Any parent whose child studied from test teach and cleared 11+ exam?
parent2013

Re: Test Teach!

Post by parent2013 »

Haven't heard about them. I always suggest parents to ask about success rate and references i.e. same what you would do when hiring childminder/nanny. Most of them out there don't tell the stats and parents don't ask (and usually take word of mouth). They might tell the name of 1-2 odd who got selected but I would be worried if there are another 20 from the same centre who couldn't make it.

You may also approach the parents from the primary school whose children have got into Sutton GS.

Hope that helps.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Finally, some one is putting this name on the forum's domain. I was once hurled an abusive abbreviation (still don't know what it meant - but moderators kindly deleted it) for not putting this name when challenged by some one. I didn't want their publicity and also I thought that mentioning the tutors was not allowed under forum's rule.

Did you check their website? Are you not convinced by their tutors?
makkar

Post by makkar »

Hi Tiffin boys, I didn't get u at all. Could u please explain a bit more about your experience with test teach?
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

makkar wrote:Hi Tiffin boys, I didn't get u at all. Could u please explain a bit more about your experience with test teach?
Did you check their website? Are you not convinced by their tutors?
If you go to their website, see the profile of their faculty. Visit them and ask their success rate for the particular schools that you have in mind. That would help you in making the right decision.

We didn't use them for our DC; we didn't know about them early enough. We were mostly doing DIY. When we had a tutor for a short time, it was pretty local to us. So no experience with them. DC did take one of their mock exam though and it was horribly difficult. Would not advise it for those who are not regularly following their course.
Peridot

Post by Peridot »

Just had a little look at their website and I would say proceed with sensible caution unless you have a personal recommendation. First thing that jumped out at me was grammar/English errors; for example using "formally" instead of "formerly". Secondly they have no testimonials/feedback of any kind from past pupils. It may be a new business; I don't know, but if it's not, you would expect them to show off their successes on their website.
Just my thoughts, you understand...no experience of them myself...!
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

They are in business for last few years - 2010 or 2011 at least. My objection was related to conflict of interest. Seems some of the names have now been removed or they were made to choose between this centre and their main school.
makkar

Post by makkar »

Thanks for the instant reply.Even I heard that the study material they give to practice is difficult . But the question is 'Will the 11+ exam be easier or harder than the study material they provide?'
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Makkar, I think they know what they are doing and have built up quite a reputation in Sutton area.
Dilbud71

Post by Dilbud71 »

I have experience of Test Teach. The papers they do are past papers from several Independent schools and a few Grammar schools like Latymer. The papers are quite challenging. They test every month and tend to go through a few of the questions most children found difficult. They give the answers to the questions they set as homework - so you have to mark these yourself and if you cannot explain to your child how to get the answer, you can then ask the tutor to explain. Downside - If the child has not done or understand the topic/concept (as they concentrate on past papers from day 1), then they will struggle in the tests. I know of people who have pulled their child out because the scores in the tests were quite demoralising. I guess the point is if the child has been doing such challenging papers, then they should find the actual exam less daunting.