Maidstone/Medway for girls.

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Sparklecat

Maidstone/Medway for girls.

Post by Sparklecat »

Hello.

We live around halfway between grammar schools in Medway and Maidstone, and have a preference for Maidstone for a number of reasons.

Am I right in thinking Maidstone schools offer places to the top scorers, then allocate what is left to those on lower scores via distance from school? This seems to mean our daughter would have to be in the very top group or lose out to those living in town?

Is it also worth keeping open the Medway option and take both tests? We have time on our side, but want to be taking the right decisions well in advance.

Many thanks for any help.
Samlet

Re: Maidstone/Medway for girls.

Post by Samlet »

Hi

I can't give you the answers on Maidstone, the schools' own websites will give the admission rules and you can find out how far out they gave places last year by asking.

As to Medway, depending on where you live, it might well be worth taking the Medway test. RGS takes on scores not distance and there are usually a few from Maidstone every year. Chatham Girls always has spaces as it isn't in a terribly convenient location for a lot of people, and will accept a Kent Test pass. Fort Pitt is probably not an option due to distance, ditto Rainham Mark.

Also its worth noting that the Medway Test gives 40% of its mark to the English excercise, so it tends to favour girls who are often stronger in English at that age. Good luck
frangipani

Post by frangipani »

No, in general the Maidstone schools do not select wholly by score (except Maidstone Grammar for Boys who select a percentage of the intake by score).
Selection is based on a pass and distance from the school.
The girls grammars often have a few spaces on allocation day and a lot of the pupils travel in by bus or train, some are from Medway.
Sparklecat

Post by Sparklecat »

Thanks for the information. While our daughter is in all the top groups, it is maths she particularly excels at, being a couple of years ahead of what the primary school say they expect. I am in a position to encourage the English over the next few years. It worries me she could pass the 11+ and still fail to get a grammar place.

http://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum/ ... icta+girls" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Reading this discussion there are usually places available in both Maidstone grammars on merit rather than geography, but it sounds like a lottery and subject to annual change. Local children progress to half a dozen different secondary schools, and is all a bit overwhelming to comprehend.

We could just buy a house in Maidstone, which would be a shame as we like this area. Any more thoughts, information or ideas very welcome.
sherry_d

Post by sherry_d »

I have never known or heard anyone pass the Kent test and fail to get into the local Maidstone girls grammars. They just about fill and Invicta sometimes have spaces on allocation. You don't need to move house, your biggest worry should be making sure she passes. Kent will have a new test this September that nobody knows what it would give weighting to. Previously you needed a minimum score for all three.
Impossible is Nothing.
TeamD

Post by TeamD »

Hi Sparklecat

I live in Medway and my dd took both the Medway and Kent test, as her English is not as good as her Maths. She passed the Kent test with a very high score but missed the Medway by 5 marks. She was offered her first choice school on allocation day - MGGS. We live just under 6 miles from the school.

Your dd should definitely get into a Maidstone Grammar school if she passes, although you will be worried sick until you get the offer letter!

Your dd could sit the Medway test as well as a backup if you're worried about not been allocated a Grammar school.

Please note - if your dd attends a Kent school, she might not qualify for a free bus pass unless the Kent school is deemed her nearest appropriate school and as a Medway resident she doesn't qualify for a Kent freedom pass either.

Feel free to pm me :)