School Open Days

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
abc72

School Open Days

Post by abc72 »

Does anyone know when the open days are for these 3 schools? My child is in Year 5, not sure when to start looking at schools.

Royal Latin
Aylesbury Boys
Henry Floyd

Are these the only 3 possible schools for MK children?
kenyancowgirl

Re: School Open Days

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Have you looked at the websites?! Most schools post Open Days etc on there.
Sally-Anne

Post by Sally-Anne »

All the dates are available in the download on this page: http://www.buckscc.gov.uk/education/sch ... en-events/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
abc72

Post by abc72 »

Thank you Sally-Anne, this is exactly what I was looking for, all at one place.

Many thanks.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You can also ask for a tour and contact the schools - I'm not a fan of the 'showy' Open evening as I don't think you get a flavour of a 'normal' day at the school.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

Guest55 wrote:You can also ask for a tour and contact the schools - I'm not a fan of the 'showy' Open evening as I don't think you get a flavour of a 'normal' day at the school.
Couldn't agree more. I make a point of going at another time.
scary mum
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

Guest55 wrote:You can also ask for a tour and contact the schools - I'm not a fan of the 'showy' Open evening as I don't think you get a flavour of a 'normal' day at the school.
Totally agree. We were not at all impressed with one GS on the official open evening but the evening was not representative of reality. We also found that the evenings became more about parents than the school. We attended evenings at two GSs and two Uppers and both evenings at the GSs were notable for the behaviour of the parents of prospective pupils. I had great sympathy for the teachers and guides on duty because the lobbying and positioning that went on was just shameless. It meant that our guides' time and that of the teachers was limited once they had listened to overly-keen parents waxing lyrical about their children's super-natural abilities in almost every subject...

My daughter was a guide at her GS back in the autumn. She had a mother attend with a child in year three. Anyone beat that?
southbucks3

Post by southbucks3 »

:lol: I distinctly remember one tour where some frightfully arrogant parents were in attendance and asked the poor little guide, who was very quietly spoken and showing off a new state of the art metal work,woodwork and technology room, if the use of such equipment was mandatory as it seemed pointless for boys to spend time on such tasks!
Thankfully there was a brilliant display showing some of the pointless creations he could direct them to, which were in deed pretty awesome.
All I could think of was the beautiful wooden pencil case my dad made in grammar school in about 1943 that I still use today for my points.
Last edited by southbucks3 on Tue May 06, 2014 8:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

These evenings are a 'lowlight' of the year for me - I try to engage with the students and, of course, the arrogant parent responds. I smile through gritted teeth ...